Optimal monetary growth with accommodating fiscal policy in a small open economy
This paper emphasizes how the choice of the optimal monetary growth rate in a small open economy under perfect capital mobility depends upon the accommodating policy chosen to maintain the overall budget constraint in the economy. When this occurs through lump sum taxation, the optimal monetary growth rate is shown to be the "distorted" Friedman monetary rule. If the adjustment occurs through the income tax rate, the optimal monetary growth rate involves a Phelps-type tradeoff between the income tax rate and the inflation tax rate. The framework is suited for analyzing optimal macroeconomic policy in general and the latter part of the paper considers an optimal monetary-fiscal package.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, William A, 1974. "Money and Growth: The Case of Long Run Perfect Foresight," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(3), pages 750-77, October.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1981.
"Macroeconomic Policy, Exchange-Rate Dynamics, and Optimal Asset Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1142-61, December.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1980. "Macroeconomic Policy, Exchange-Rate Dynamics, and Optimal Asset Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0599, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Brock, William A., 1980. "Time consistency and optimal government policies in perfect foresight equilibrium," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 183-212, April.
- Mantel, Rolf & Martirena-Mantel, Ana M., 1982. "Exchange rate policies in a small economy : The active crawling peg," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 301-320, November.
- James Tobin, 1968.
"Notes on Optimal Monetary Growth,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
245, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981.
"Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?,"
NBER Working Papers
0686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1982. "Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-70, May.
- Brock, William A., 1975. "A simple perfect foresight monetary model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-150, April.
- Hodrick, Robert J., 1982. "On the effects of macroeconomic policy in a maximizing model of a small open economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 195-213.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1984.
"Domestic and Foreign Disturbances in an Optimizing Model of Exchange- Rate Determination,"
NBER Working Papers
1407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1985. "Domestic and foreign disturbances in an optimizing model of exchange-rate determination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 151-171, March.
- Clarke, Harry R. & Kingston, Geoffrey H., 1979. "The optimal crawl : A comment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 131-136, February.
- Mathieson, Donald J., 1976. "Is there an optimal crawl?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 183-202, May.
- Mathieson, Donald J., 1979. "The optimal crawl : A reply," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 137-137, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:6:y:1987:i:2:p:179-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.