Environmental policy, the porter hypothesis and the composition of capital: Effects of learning and technological progress
In this paper the e.ect of environmental policy on the composition of capital is investigated.By allowing for non-linearities it generalizes Xepapadeas and De Zeeuw (Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 1999) and determines scenarios in which their results do not carry over.In particular, we show that the way acquisition cost of investment decreases with the age of the capital stock is of crucial importance.Also it is obtained that environmental policy has opposite e.ects on the average age of the capital stock in the case of either deterioration or depreciation.We also focus more explicitly on learning and technological progress.Among others we obtain that in the presence of learning, implementing a stricter environmental policy with the aim to reach a certain target of emissions reduction has a stronger negative e.ect on industry pro.ts, which implies quite the opposite as to what is described by the Porter hypothesis.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth,"
886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Emilio Barucci & Fausto Gozzi, 2001. "Technology adoption and accumulation in a vintage-capital model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2004.
"Dynamic investment behavior taking into account ageing of the capital good,"
Other publications TiSEM
3fc960b5-8f69-4008-a3e4-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2001. "Dynamic Investment Behavior Taking into Account Ageing of the Capital Good," Discussion Paper 2001-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar & Magnus, Alphonse, 2001. "Numerical solution by iterative methods of a class of vintage capital models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 655-669, May.
- Malcomson, James M., 1975. "Replacement and the rental value of capital equipment subject to obsolescence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 24-41, February.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & DE LA CROIX, David & LICANDRO, Omar, 2006.
CORE Discussion Papers
2006024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf Boucekkine & David de la Croix & Omar Licandro, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/8, European University Institute.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & David, DE LA CROIX & Omar, LICANDRO, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006014, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, .
"Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1996
_036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997. "Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, .
"Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998. " Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeeman:v:50:y:2005:i:2:p:434-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.