Environmental policy, the porter hypothesis and the composition of capital: Effects of learning and technological progress
In this paper the e.ect of environmental policy on the composition of capital is investigated.By allowing for non-linearities it generalizes Xepapadeas and De Zeeuw (Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 1999) and determines scenarios in which their results do not carry over.In particular, we show that the way acquisition cost of investment decreases with the age of the capital stock is of crucial importance.Also it is obtained that environmental policy has opposite e.ects on the average age of the capital stock in the case of either deterioration or depreciation.We also focus more explicitly on learning and technological progress.Among others we obtain that in the presence of learning, implementing a stricter environmental policy with the aim to reach a certain target of emissions reduction has a stronger negative e.ect on industry pro.ts, which implies quite the opposite as to what is described by the Porter hypothesis.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malcomson, James M., 1975. "Replacement and the rental value of capital equipment subject to obsolescence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 24-41, February.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2001.
"Dynamic Investment Behavior Taking into Account Ageing of the Capital Good,"
2001-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V., 2004. "Dynamic investment behavior taking into account ageing of the capital good," Other publications TiSEM 3fc960b5-8f69-4008-a3e4-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Paul, Christopher & Licandro, Omar & Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995.
"Differential-difference equations in economics: on the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
3951, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997. "Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, "undated". "Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1996 _036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar & Magnus, Alphonse, 1998.
"Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-384, December.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, "undated". "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, "undated". "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," Working Papers 97-08, FEDEA.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro & Alphonse Magnus, "undated".
"Numerical solution by iterative methods of a class on vintage capital models,"
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar & Magnus, Alphonse, 2001. "Numerical solution by iterative methods of a class of vintage capital models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 655-669, May.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro & Alphonse Magnus, "undated". "Numerical solution by iterative methods of a class of vintage capital models," Working Papers 98-20, FEDEA.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & DE LA CROIX, David & LICANDRO, Omar, 2006.
CORE Discussion Papers
2006024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & David, DE LA CROIX & Omar, LICANDRO, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006014, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Raouf Boucekkine & David de la Croix & Omar Licandro, 2006. "Vintage Capital," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/8, European University Institute.
- Emilio Barucci & Fausto Gozzi, 2001. "Technology adoption and accumulation in a vintage-capital model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment And Growth,"
90-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeeman:v:50:y:2005:i:2:p:434-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.