Asymptotic distributions of the overshoot and undershoots for the Lévy insurance risk process in the Cramér and convolution equivalent cases
Recent models of the insurance risk process use a Lévy process to generalise the traditional Cramér–Lundberg compound Poisson model. This paper is concerned with the behaviour of the distributions of the overshoot and undershoots of a high level, for a Lévy process which drifts to −∞ and satisfies a Cramér or a convolution equivalent condition. We derive these asymptotics under minimal conditions in the Cramér case, and compare them with known results for the convolution equivalent case, drawing attention to the striking and unexpected fact that they become identical when certain parameters tend to equality. Thus, at least regarding these quantities, the “medium-heavy” tailed convolution equivalent model segues into the “light-tailed” Cramér model in a natural way. This suggests a usefully expanded flexibility for modelling the insurance risk process. We illustrate this relationship by comparing the asymptotic distributions obtained for the overshoot and undershoots, assuming the Lévy process belongs to the “GTSC” class.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tang, Qihe & Wei, Li, 2010. "Asymptotic aspects of the Gerber-Shiu function in the renewal risk model using Wiener-Hopf factorization and convolution equivalence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 19-31, February.
- Embrechts, P. & Veraverbeke, N., 1982. "Estimates for the probability of ruin with special emphasis on the possibility of large claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Biffis, Enrico & Kyprianou, Andreas E., 2010. "A note on scale functions and the time value of ruin for Lévy insurance risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 85-91, February.
- Embrechts, Paul & Goldie, Charles M., 1982. "On convolution tails," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 263-278, September.
- Bertoin, J. & Doney, R. A., 1994. "Cramer's estimate for Lévy processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 363-365, December.
- Schmidli, H., 1995. "Cramer-Lundberg approximations for ruin probabilities of risk processes perturbed by diffusion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 135-149, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:51:y:2012:i:2:p:382-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.