Path relinking for unconstrained binary quadratic programming
This paper presents two path relinking algorithms to solve the unconstrained binary quadratic programming (UBQP) problem. One is based on a greedy strategy to generate the relinking path from the initial solution to the guiding solution and the other operates in a random way. We show extensive computational results on five sets of benchmarks, including 31 large random UBQP instances and 103 structured instances derived from the MaxCut problem. Comparisons with several state-of-the-art algorithms demonstrate the efficacy of our proposed algorithms in terms of both solution quality and computational efficiency. It is noteworthy that both algorithms are able to improve the previous best known results for almost 40 percent of the 103 MaxCut instances.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. McBride & J. S. Yormark, 1980. "An Implicit Enumeration Algorithm for Quadratic Integer Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(3), pages 282-296, March.
- Fred Glover & Gary A. Kochenberger & Bahram Alidaee, 1998. "Adaptive Memory Tabu Search for Binary Quadratic Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 336-345, March.
- Lodi, Andrea & Allemand, Kim & Liebling, Thomas M., 1999. "An evolutionary heuristic for quadratic 0-1 programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 662-670, December.
- Lü, Zhipeng & Glover, Fred & Hao, Jin-Kao, 2010. "A hybrid metaheuristic approach to solving the UBQP problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1254-1262, December.
- Katayama, Kengo & Narihisa, Hiroyuki, 2001. "Performance of simulated annealing-based heuristic for the unconstrained binary quadratic programming problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 103-119, October.
- Delorme, Xavier & Gandibleux, Xavier & Rodriguez, Joaquin, 2004. "GRASP for set packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 564-580, March.
- Alidaee, Bahram & Kochenberger, Gary & Lewis, Karen & Lewis, Mark & Wang, Haibo, 2008. "A new approach for modeling and solving set packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 504-512, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:3:p:595-604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.