Path relinking for unconstrained binary quadratic programming
This paper presents two path relinking algorithms to solve the unconstrained binary quadratic programming (UBQP) problem. One is based on a greedy strategy to generate the relinking path from the initial solution to the guiding solution and the other operates in a random way. We show extensive computational results on five sets of benchmarks, including 31 large random UBQP instances and 103 structured instances derived from the MaxCut problem. Comparisons with several state-of-the-art algorithms demonstrate the efficacy of our proposed algorithms in terms of both solution quality and computational efficiency. It is noteworthy that both algorithms are able to improve the previous best known results for almost 40 percent of the 103 MaxCut instances.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alidaee, Bahram & Kochenberger, Gary & Lewis, Karen & Lewis, Mark & Wang, Haibo, 2008. "A new approach for modeling and solving set packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 504-512, April.
- Fred Glover & Gary A. Kochenberger & Bahram Alidaee, 1998. "Adaptive Memory Tabu Search for Binary Quadratic Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 336-345, March.
- Katayama, Kengo & Narihisa, Hiroyuki, 2001. "Performance of simulated annealing-based heuristic for the unconstrained binary quadratic programming problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 103-119, October.
- Delorme, Xavier & Gandibleux, Xavier & Rodriguez, Joaquin, 2004. "GRASP for set packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 564-580, March.
- Lodi, Andrea & Allemand, Kim & Liebling, Thomas M., 1999. "An evolutionary heuristic for quadratic 0-1 programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 662-670, December.
- R. D. McBride & J. S. Yormark, 1980. "An Implicit Enumeration Algorithm for Quadratic Integer Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(3), pages 282-296, March.
- Lü, Zhipeng & Glover, Fred & Hao, Jin-Kao, 2010. "A hybrid metaheuristic approach to solving the UBQP problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1254-1262, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:3:p:595-604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.