Targeting rules for monetary policy
This paper develops an analytical framework for the analysis of targeting rules for monetary policy. We derive the optimal money supply rule and analyze the implications of other monetary rules including rules that target nominal GNP, the price level, the monetary growth rate and the interestrate. An explicit welfare criterion is used in order to rank the alternative rules. In the model monetary policy is needed because labor market contracts set nominal wages in advance of the realization of the stochastic shocks. The principal result is that the welfare ranking of alternative targeting rules depends on whether the elasticity of labor demand exceeds or falls short of the elasticity of labor supply. Specifically, it is shown that if the demand for labor is more elastic than the supply, then targeting nominal GNP produces a smaller welfare loss than targeting the CPI which in turn produces a smaller welfare loss than interest rate targeting.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1984.
"Monetarist Rules in the Light of Recent Experience,"
NBER Working Papers
1277, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 1984. "Monetarist Rules in the Light of Recent Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 388-91, May.
- Bean, Charles R, 1983. "Targeting Nominal Income: An Appraisal," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 806-19, December.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Frenkel, Jacob A, 1985.
"Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign Exchange Intervention, and Monetary Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 402-23, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1984. "Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign-Exchange Intervention and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:21:y:1986:i:2:p:183-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.