Identification of breast cancer prognosis markers via integrative analysis
In breast cancer research, it is of great interest to identify genomic markers associated with prognosis. Multiple gene profiling studies have been conducted for such a purpose. Genomic markers identified from the analysis of single datasets often do not have satisfactory reproducibility. Among the multiple possible reasons, the most important one is the small sample sizes of individual studies. A cost-effective solution is to pool data from multiple comparable studies and conduct integrative analysis. In this study, we collect four breast cancer prognosis studies with gene expression measurements. We describe the relationship between prognosis and gene expressions using the accelerated failure time (AFT) models. We adopt a 2-norm group bridge penalization approach for marker identification. This integrative analysis approach can effectively identify markers with consistent effects across multiple datasets and naturally accommodate the heterogeneity among studies. Statistical and simulation studies demonstrate satisfactory performance of this approach. Breast cancer prognosis markers identified using this approach have sound biological implications and satisfactory prediction performance.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lukas Meier & Sara van de Geer & Peter Bühlmann, 2008. "The group lasso for logistic regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(1), pages 53-71.
- Stute, W., 1993. "Consistent Estimation Under Random Censorship When Covariables Are Present," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 89-103, April.
- Susmita Datta & Jennifer Le-Rademacher & Somnath Datta, 2007. "Predicting Patient Survival from Microarray Data by Accelerated Failure Time Modeling Using Partial Least Squares and LASSO," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 259-271, 03.
- Jian Huang & Shuangge Ma & Huiliang Xie, 2006. "Regularized Estimation in the Accelerated Failure Time Model with High-Dimensional Covariates," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 813-820, 09.
- Jian Huang & Shuange Ma & Huiliang Xie & Cun-Hui Zhang, 2009. "A group bridge approach for variable selection," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(2), pages 339-355.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:9:p:2718-2728. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.