A Consistent Nonparametric Test For Causality In Quantile
This paper proposes a nonparametric test of Granger causality in quantile. Zheng (1998, Econometric Theory 14, 123–138) studied the idea to reduce the problem of testing a quantile restriction to a problem of testing a particular type of mean restriction in independent data. We extend Zheng’s approach to the case of dependent data, particularly to the test of Granger causality in quantile. Combining the results of Zheng (1998) and Fan and Li (1999, Journal of Nonparametric Statistics 10, 245–271), we establish the asymptotic normal distribution of the test statistic under a β -mixing process. The test is consistent against all fixed alternatives and detects local alternatives approaching the null at proper rates. Simulations are carried out to illustrate the behavior of the test under the null and also the power of the test under plausible alternatives. An economic application considers the causal relations between the crude oil price, the USD/GBP exchange rate, and the gold price in the gold market.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi, 2001. "A Consistent Test For Conditional Heteroskedasticity In Time-Series Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 188-221, February.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 1999. "Consistent hypothesis testing in semiparametric and nonparametric models for econometric time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 373-401, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- P. M. Robinson, 1989. "Hypothesis Testing in Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models for Econometric Time Series," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(4), pages 511-534.
- Zheng, John Xu, 1998. "A Consistent Nonparametric Test Of Parametric Regression Models Under Conditional Quantile Restrictions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 123-138, February.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Cai, Zongwu, 2002. "Regression Quantiles For Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 169-192, February.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-1430, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:28:y:2012:i:04:p:861-887_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.