The Role of Canadian Financial Institutions in the Development of Colombia’s Financial Markets, 1896-1939
Canadian financial institutions played an important role in the development of financial markets within Colombia´s urban centers. Specifically, insurance companies such as Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and Life Assurance Company of Canada were crucial in the expansion of the insurance business across the Caribbean coast, while Royal Bank of Canada contributed to the development of personal banking operations throughout the nation. This paper looks at the experience of Canadian financial companies in Colombia from the late 1800s to the beginning of World War II. It highlights the competitive nature of international financial business and the role of business leaders, policy, and governments in efforts to secure market shares in emerging nations such as Colombia. This historical research also contributes to a better understanding of the bilateral relations between Colombia and Canada, and the ways in which capitalism expanded across the western hemisphere.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 67 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999.
"¿Por qué perdió la costa Caribe el siglo XX?,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL Y URBANA
003823, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999. "¿Porqué perdió la Costa Caribe el siglo XX?," Documentos de trabajo sobre Economía Regional y Urbana 07, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Edwin R. A. Seligman, 1893. "The Classification of Public Revenues," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 286-321.
- Edwin R. A. Seligman, 1895. "The Classification of Public Revenues," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(3), pages 279-290.
- Anonymous, 0. "Abstracts: An Evolving Public Policy Education," Increasing Understanding of Public Problems and Policies, Farm Foundation. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:010163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.