La logique sexuée de la réciprocité dans l'assistance
This article takes a gender approach to the analysis of changes in the relationship of reciprocity that links the State and people receiving social benefits targeted at poverty reduction. The counterpart required in exchange for national solidarity is not the same for men and women beneficiaries and varies with family status, which induces a discrimination. Whereas what is important for women has long been their role as ?mothers above all?, for men it is their integration into the world of work. The integration in 2009 of the French minimum income benefit (RMI) and the lone parent allowance (API) into what is now called the active solidarity income (RSA) led to strengthening job integration requirements for beneficiaries. Nevertheless, the traditional model seems to have been spared by the tightening of requirements, as women with children who live in a couple do not have their employability questioned to the same extent as other beneficiaries. Their role as housewives excludes them from a logic of employment at any cost. But as soon as they are separated from their partner, they once again become a target of activation policies. JEL classification codes: I31, I38, J2, B52.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hélène Zajdela & Danièle Guillemot & Patrick Pétour, 2002.
"Trappe à chômage ou trappe à pauvreté. Quel est le sort des allocataires du RMI ?,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 53(6), pages 1235-1252.
- Danièle Guillemot & Patrick Pétour & Hélène Zajdela, 2002. "Trappe à chômage ou trappe à pauvreté. Quel est le sort des allocataires du RMI ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 53(6), pages 1235-1252.
- Guillaume Allegre & Hélène Périvier-Timbeau, 2005. "Pauvreté et activité : vers quelle équation sociale ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/3467, Sciences Po.
- Bernard Salanié & Guy Laroque, 1999. "Prélèvements et transferts sociaux : une analyse descriptive des incitations financières au travail," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 328(1), pages 3-19.
- Bernard Salanié & Guy Laroque, 2000. "Une décomposition du non-emploi en France," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 331(1), pages 47-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_114_0237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.