Tarification au marché et variation des marges à l'exportation. Une étude des prix d'exportation allemands, français et italiens
This paper analyzes the impact of increasing international competition on the evolution of export prices in the last three decades. We investigate both the sensitivity of export prices to exchange rate movements, and the dynamics of profit margins for a large number of manufacturing products exported by France, Germany and Italy. We find that export price dynamics are mainly determined by source and destination market characteristics, whereas product specific features do not appear to play a crucial role. For what concerns export margins, we find that on average they have either remained stable or augmented in the last three decades. While estimated coefficients have to be taken with caution, our results suggest that the increased international integration seems not to have reduced firms’ market power. JEL Classification: D40, E30, F14, L16, L60.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993.
"Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
446, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1996. "Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 187-207, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," NBER Working Papers 4399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Gagnon, J.E. & Knetter, M.M., 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," Papers 93-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Asplund, Björn Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2002.
"Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Asplund, Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2001. "Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 468, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Jan 2007.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2006. "Structural Determinants of the Exchange-Rate Pass-Through," Working Papers 2006-03, CEPII research center.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2006.
"Exchange-Rate Pass-Trough at the Product Level,"
2006-02, CEPII research center.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1995. "Product Differentiation and Oligopoly in International Markets: The Case of the U.S. Automobile Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 891-951, July.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2009.
"Pricing to market of Italian exporting firms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(12), pages 1543-1562.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?," NBER Working Papers 8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?," Staff Reports 149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja, 2000. "Exchange rates and European countries’ export prices: An empirical test for asymmetries in pricing to market behavior," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 136(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Martin Falk & Rahel Falk, 2000. "Pricing to Market of German Exporters: Evidence from Panel Data," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 27(1), pages 21-46, March.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-654, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Falk, Rahel & Falk, Martin, 1998. "Pricing to market of German exporters: evidence from panel data," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_108_0165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.