Peut-on se fier à la confiance ?
This article attempts to survey a large part of the growing literature on trust, trying to circumscribe this imprecise concept and especially its relations with economic theory. After reviewing different notions of trust – particularized, generalized, trust in institutions – it tries to explore further the idea of generalized trust. The typology of current approaches and the different measurements available to quantify generalized trust are presented and discussed. The article closes with a critical discussion of the book by Y. Algan and P. Cahuc “La société de défiance” (2007) that aims at applying to the case of France an economic approach of generalized trust. JEL Classification: B52, D81, N44, O17.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
NBER Working Papers
5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Cahuc & Yann Algan, 2009.
"Civic Virtue and Labor Markets Institutions,"
- André Grjebine & Eloi Laurent, 2008.
"La méthode suédoise : la cohésion sociale au défi de l'adaptation,"
- André Grjebine & Eloi Laurent, 2008. "La méthode suédoise : la cohésion sociale au défi de l'adaptation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9860, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/9860 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eloi Laurent & Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2008.
"Hawk and handsaws: What can France learn from the “Nordic Model”?,"
Sciences Po publications
168, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent, 2008. "Hawk and handsaws: What can France learn from the "Nordic Model"?," Working Papers hal-00972824, HAL.
- repec:cpm:opuscl:09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000.
"Who Trusts Others?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David I. Laibson & José A. Scheinkman & Christine L. Soutter, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 811-846.
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10050 is not listed on IDEAS
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_108_0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.