Peut-on se fier à la confiance ?
This article attempts to survey a large part of the growing literature on trust, trying to circumscribe this imprecise concept and especially its relations with economic theory. After reviewing different notions of trust ? particularized, generalized, trust in institutions ? it tries to explore further the idea of generalized trust. The typology of current approaches and the different measurements available to quantify generalized trust are presented and discussed. The article closes with a critical discussion of the book by Y. Algan and P. Cahuc ?La société de défiance? (2007) that aims at applying to the case of France an economic approach of generalized trust. JEL Classification: B52, D81, N44, O17.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David I. Laibson & José A. Scheinkman & Christine L. Soutter, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 811-846.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000. "Measuring Trust," Scholarly Articles 4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- La Porta, Rafael, et al, 1997. "Trust in Large Organizations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 333-338, May.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Trust in Large Organizations," NBER Working Papers 5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002. "Who trusts others?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 207-234, August.
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000. "Who Trusts Others?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Cahuc & Yann Algan, 2009. "Civic Virtue and Labor Market Institutions," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 111-145, January.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc, 2009. "Civic Virtue and Labor Market Institutions," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8812, Sciences Po.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc, 2009. "Civic Vitue and Labor Market Institutions," Post-Print hal-00812847, HAL.
- Pierre Cahuc & Yann Algan, 2009. "Civic Virtue and Labor Markets Institutions," Post-Print hal-00395668, HAL.
- André Grjebine & Eloi Laurent, 2008. "La méthode suédoise : la cohésion sociale au défi de l'adaptation," Post-Print hal-01022396, HAL.
- André Grjebine & Eloi Laurent, 2008. "La méthode suédoise : la cohésion sociale au défi de l'adaptation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9860, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent, 2008. "Hawk and handsaws: What can France learn from the "Nordic Model"?," Working Papers hal-00972824, HAL.
- Eloi Laurent & Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2008. "Hawk and handsaws: What can France learn from the “Nordic Model”?," Sciences Po publications 168, Sciences Po.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/9860 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10050 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_108_0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.