Could environmental public policy be harmful for the environment?
This article analyzes the consequences of environmental public policy when private agents have access to abatement activity, financed by private contributions. The issue at stake is the interactions between private involvement in abatement activities and public intervention. The analysis of the consequences of environmental tax policy on capital and environmental quality shows that public and private abatements may or may not be substitutable, depending on abatement efficiencies and on the initial economic and environmental inefficiencies. JEL Classification: Q52, Q58.
Volume (Year): 76 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-recherches-economiques-de-louvain.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S., 1995. "Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 127-141, September.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1992.
"Environmental Policy, Public Finance and the Labour Market in a Second-best World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bovenberg, A. L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1994. "Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 349-390, November.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Van Der Ploeg, F., 1992. "Environmental Policy, Public Finance and the Labour Market in a Second- Best World," Papers 9243, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1992. "Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world," Discussion Paper 1992-43, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ono, Tetsuo, 1996. "Optimal tax schemes and the environmental externality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 283-289, December.
- Jouvet, Pierre-Andre & Michel, Philippe & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2000.
" Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 135-150, March.
- Jouvet, P.-A. & Michel, P. & Vidal, J.-P., 1999. "Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Intergenerational altruism and the environment," CORE Discussion Papers 1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993.
"The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth : Pollution in three proto-type growth models,"
Other publications TiSEM
f3ec6de7-f996-4ac0-b872-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Marini Giancarlo & Scaramozzino Pasquale, 1995. "Overlapping Generations and Environmental Control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 64-77, July.
- Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 1995. "Disutility of pollution and endogenous growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(3), pages 279-300, October.
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reldbu:rel_764_0371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.