IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/a/buc/jgbeco/v8y2014i1p73-100.html
   My bibliography  Save this article

Does Pareto Rule Internet Gambling? Problems Among The “Vital Few” & “Trivial Many”

Author

Listed:
  • Matthew A. Tom
  • Debi A. LaPlante
  • Howard J. Shaffer

Abstract

Using records of Internet gambling subscribers (n = 1,384), this study tested the Pareto principle: about 20% of customers, “the vital few,” are responsible for about 80% of the activity, while 80%, “the trivial many,” are responsible for the remaining 20%. Participants completed the Brief Biosocial Gambling Screen (BBGS) and had a history of betting on sports and/or online casino games during the twelve months before completing the screen. Using various measures, the vital few Internet gamblers ranged between 4.6% and 17.8% of the subscribers – smaller than the Pareto principle would suggest. Between 38% and 67% of the vital few and between 24% and 35% of the trivial many screened positive for gambling-related problems. This research suggests that the concepts of the “vital few” and the “trivial many” apply to Internet gambling.

Suggested Citation

  • Matthew A. Tom & Debi A. LaPlante & Howard J. Shaffer, 2014. "Does Pareto Rule Internet Gambling? Problems Among The “Vital Few” & “Trivial Many”," Journal of Gambling Business and Economics, University of Buckingham Press, vol. 8(1), pages 73-100.
  • Handle: RePEc:buc:jgbeco:v:8:y:2014:i:1:p:73-100
    as

    Download full text from publisher

    File URL: http://www.ubplj.org/index.php/jgbe/article/view/798
    Download Restriction: no
    ---><---

    Citations

    Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
    as


    Cited by:

    1. Fiedler, Ingo & Kairouz, Sylvia & Costes, Jean-Michel & Weißmüller, Kristina S., 2019. "Gambling spending and its concentration on problem gamblers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 82-91.

    More about this item

    Keywords

    Gambling; Internet; Internet gambling; Pareto principle; Pathological gambling;
    All these keywords.

    JEL classification:

    • L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:buc:jgbeco:v:8:y:2014:i:1:p:73-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominic Cortis, University of Malta). General contact details of provider: http://www.ubpl.co.uk/ .

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

    IDEAS is a RePEc service hosted by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis . RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.