On Uniqueness of Equilibria in the CAPM - (This paper replaces "Existence and Uniqueness of Equilibria in the CAPM")
AbstractIn the standard CAPM with a riskless asset we give a sufficient condition for uniqueness. This condition is a joint restriction on the agents' endowments and their preferences which is compatible with non-increasing absolute risk aversion and which is in particular satisfied with constant absolute risk aversion. Moreover in the CAPM without a riskless asset we give an example for multiple equilibria even though all agents have constant absolute risk aversion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich in its series IEW - Working Papers with number 039.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
CAPM; uniqueness; risk aversion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2000-05-08 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2000-05-08 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1990. "Existence of equilibrium in CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 223-231, October.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Levy, Haim, 1994. "Absolute and Relative Risk Aversion: An Experimental Study," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 289-307, May.
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1988. "Uniqueness of Equilibrium in the Classical Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 329-336, September.
- Dalal, Ardeshir J & Arshanapalli, Bala G, 1993. " Estimating the Demand for Risky Assets via the Indirect Expected Utility Function," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 277-88, June.
- Dana, Rose-Anne, 1999. "Existence, uniqueness and determinacy of equilibrium in C.A.P.M. with a riskless asset," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 167-175, October.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.