IT Training and Employability of Older Workers
AbstractThis paper empirically analyzes the relationship between firm-provided IT training and the firm?s proportion of older workers. Using data from the ZEW ICT survey of the years 2004 and 2007, the results show that a firm?s IT intensity plays a crucial role: firms intensively using information technologies employ a significantly smaller proportion of older workers than firms that are less IT-intensive. However, higher participation rates of older workers in IT training are related to a larger proportion of older workers within firms. It turns out that this effect is of particular importance in firms that intensively use IT. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 08-021.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
older workers; IT training; information technologies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2008-06-07 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-KNM-2008-06-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-LAB-2008-06-07 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1999.
"The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 539-572, June.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1998. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," CEPR Discussion Papers 1833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, D. & Pischke, J.S., 1997. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Working papers 97-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," NBER Working Papers 6357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roger, Muriel & Aubert, Patrick & Caroli, Eve, 2006.
"New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10051, Paris Dauphine University.
- Patrick Aubert & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2006. "New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F73-F93, 02.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Zwick, 2005. "Continuing Vocational Training Forms and Establishment Productivity in Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 155-184, 05.
- Lutz Bellmann & Peter Ellguth, 2006. "Verbreitung von Betriebsräten und ihr Einfluss auf die betriebliche Weiterbildung," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 226(5), pages 487-504, September.
- Behaghel, L. & Caroli, E. & Roger, M., 2013.
"Age Biased Technical and Organisational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers,"
431, Banque de France.
- Behaghel, Luc & Caroli, Eve & Roger, Muriel, 2011. "Age Biased Technical and Organisational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 5544, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roger, Muriel & Caroli, Eve & Behaghel, Luc, 2014. "Age Biased Technical and Organisational Change, Training and Employment Prospects of Older Workers," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7243, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.