Optimal Cover Prices and the Effects of Website Provision on Advertising and Magazine Demand
AbstractI derive and estimate a model for cover price setting in print media markets where actors are faced by two interrelated demand curves: the demand for the print medium and the demand for advertising space. Publicly available data on German women?s magazines observed between 1998 and 2001 are used in the GMM estimation. Main findings are that my estimated marginals cost coincide well with those of industry sources, magazines with a high circulation elasticity of advertising demand price markedly below marginal cost and website provision neither has a significant effect on magazine nor on advertising demand. Keywords: magazines, cost estimation, GMM estimation, website provision --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 02-54.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
magazines; cost estimation; GMM estimation; website provision;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:iniesr:543 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ulrich Kaiser, 2002.
"The Effects of Website Provision on the Demand for German Women's Magazines,"
NBER Working Papers
8806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "The effects of website provision on the demand for German women's magazines," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 01-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Stennek, Johan & Verboven, Frank, 2000.
"Efficiency Gains from Mergers,"
Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics
543, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Johan Stennek & Frank Verboven, 2000. "Efficiency Gains from Mergers," CIG Working Papers, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG) FS IV 00-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Rosse, James N, 1970. "Estimating Cost Function Parameters without Using Cost Data: Illustrated Methodology," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 256-75, March.
- Merrilees, William J, 1983. "Anatomy of a Price Leadership Challenge: An Evaluation of Pricing Strategies in the Australian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 291-311, March.
- Thompson, R Stephen, 1989. "Circulation versus Advertiser Appeal in the Newspaper Industry: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 259-71, March.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A�Study of the Market for Yellow�Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.