Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry
AbstractIn this paper we study mergers in two-sided industries. While mergers have been studied extensively in traditional industries, and there is a large and rapidly evolving literature on two-sided markets, there has been little work empirically examining mergers in these markets. We present a model that shows that mergers in two-sided markets may not necessarily lead to higher prices for either side of the market. We test our conclusions by examining a spate of mergers in the Canadian newspaper industry in the late 1990s. Specifically, we analyze prices for both circulation and advertising to try to understand the impact that these mergers had on consumer welfare. We find that greater concentration did not lead to higher prices for either newspaper subscribers or advertisers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 7954.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Mergers; Two-Sided Markets; Newspapers;
Other versions of this item:
- Ambarish Chandra & Allan Collard-Wexler, 2009. "Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1045-1070, December.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-04-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2008-04-15 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-IND-2008-04-15 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2008-04-15 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2008-04-15 (Marketing)
- NEP-NET-2008-04-15 (Network Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mueller, Christopher & Boehme, Enrico, 2011. "The monopoly benchmark on two-sided markets," MPRA Paper 34987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marc Rysman & Ginger Zhe Jin, 2012. "Platform Pricing at Sports Card Conventions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2012-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus & Wenzel, Tobias, 2011.
"Semi-collusion in media markets,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 92-98, June.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2013.
"The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 239-61, February.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2011. "The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool," NBER Working Papers 17476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Tobias J. Klein, 2013. "Price Competition in Two-Sided Markets with Heterogeneous Consumers and Network Effects," Working Papers 13-20, NET Institute.
- Andre Veiga & E. Glen Weyl, 2011. "Multidimensional Heterogeneity and Platform Design," Working Papers 11-33, NET Institute, revised Nov 2011.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Klein, T.J. & Michielsen, T.O., 2011.
"Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market,"
2011-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Tobias J. Klein & Thomas Michielsen, 2011. "Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market," Working Papers Series wp2011_15.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Klein, T.J. & Michielsen, T.O., 2011. "Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market," Discussion Paper 2011-046, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Simon P. Anderson & Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Martin Peitz, 2011.
"Media Market Concentration, Advertising Levels, and Ad Prices,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3677, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2012. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 321-325.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2011. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 24/2011, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Alexander White & E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "Imperfect Platform Competition: A General Framework," Working Papers 10-17, NET Institute, revised Nov 2010.
- Rennhoff, Adam D. & Wilbur, Kenneth C., 2012. "Local media ownership and media quality," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 231-242.
- Van Cayseele, Patrick & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2009.
"Prices and Network Effects in Two- Sided Markets: the Belgian Newspaper Industry,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/406809, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Van Cayseele, Patrick & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2009. "Prices and Network Eects in Two-Sided Markets: the Belgian Newspaper Industry," Working Papers 2009/06, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Nicholas G. Rupp & Vivek Pai, 2013. "Value of a Platform to a Seller: Case of American Airlines and Online Travel Agencies," Working Papers 13-08, NET Institute.
- David Flath, 2010. "Resale Price Maintenance by Japanese Newspapers," ISER Discussion Paper 0787, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- L. Aguzzoni & E. Argentesi & L. Ciari & T. Duso & M. Tognoni, 2013.
"Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books,"
wp889, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Aguzzoni & Elena Argentesi & Lorenzo Ciari & Tomaso Duso & Massimo Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1310, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Aguzzoni, Luca & Argentesi, Elena & Ciari, Lorenzo & Duso, Tomaso & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013. "Ex-post merger evaluation in the UK retail market for books," DICE Discussion Papers 98, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Böhme, Enrico & Müller, Christopher, 2012. "Monopolistic Location Choice in Two-Sided Industries," MPRA Paper 41761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Flath, 2012. "Japanese Newspapers," ISER Discussion Paper 0850, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.