Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry
Abstract"In this paper, we study mergers in two-sided industries and, in particular, the effects of mergers in the newspaper industry. We present a model which shows that mergers in two-sided markets may not necessarily lead to higher prices for either side of the market. We test our conclusions by examining a spate of mergers in the Canadian newspaper industry in the late 1990s. Specifically, we analyze prices for both circulation and advertising to try to understand the impact that these mergers had on consumer welfare. We find that greater concentration did not lead to higher prices for either newspaper subscribers or advertisers." Copyright (c) 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economics & Management Strategy.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/journals/JEMS/
Other versions of this item:
- Chandra, Ambarish & Collard-Wexler, Allan, 2008. "Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry," MPRA Paper 7954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aguzzoni, Luca & Argentesi, Elena & Ciari, Lorenzo & Duso, Tomaso & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013.
"Ex-post merger evaluation in the UK retail market for books,"
DICE Discussion Papers
98, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- L. Aguzzoni & E. Argentesi & L. Ciari & T. Duso & M. Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Working Papers wp889, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Aguzzoni & Elena Argentesi & Lorenzo Ciari & Tomaso Duso & Massimo Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1310, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus & Wenzel, Tobias, 2011.
"Semi-collusion in media markets,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 92-98, June.
- Mueller, Christopher & Boehme, Enrico, 2011. "The monopoly benchmark on two-sided markets," MPRA Paper 34987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Böhme, Enrico & Müller, Christopher, 2012. "Monopolistic Location Choice in Two-Sided Industries," MPRA Paper 41761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Flath, 2010. "Resale Price Maintenance by Japanese Newspapers," ISER Discussion Paper 0787, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Alexander White & E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "Imperfect Platform Competition: A General Framework," Working Papers 10-17, NET Institute, revised Nov 2010.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Klein, T.J. & Michielsen, T.O., 2011.
"Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market,"
2011-046, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Klein, T.J. & Michielsen, T.O., 2011. "Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market," Discussion Paper 2011-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Tobias J. Klein & Thomas Michielsen, 2011. "Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in a Two-Sided Market: An Application to the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market," Working Papers Series wp2011_15.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Simon P. Anderson & Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Martin Peitz, 2011.
"Media Market Concentration, Advertising Levels, and Ad Prices,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3677, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2012. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 321-325.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2011. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 24/2011, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Van Cayseele, Patrick & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2009.
"Prices and Network Eects in Two-Sided Markets: the Belgian Newspaper Industry,"
2009/06, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Van Cayseele, Patrick & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2009. "Prices and Network Effects in Two- Sided Markets: the Belgian Newspaper Industry," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/406809, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Nicholas G. Rupp & Vivek Pai, 2013. "Value of a Platform to a Seller: Case of American Airlines and Online Travel Agencies," Working Papers 13-08, NET Institute.
- Marc Rysman & Ginger Zhe Jin, 2012. "Platform Pricing at Sports Card Conventions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2012-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Tobias J. Klein, 2013. "Price Competition in Two-Sided Markets with Heterogeneous Consumers and Network Effects," Working Papers 13-20, NET Institute.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2011.
"The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool,"
NBER Working Papers
17476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2013. "The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 239-61, February.
- David Flath, 2012. "Japanese Newspapers," ISER Discussion Paper 0850, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Andre Veiga & E. Glen Weyl, 2011. "Multidimensional Heterogeneity and Platform Design," Working Papers 11-33, NET Institute, revised Nov 2011.
- Rennhoff, Adam D. & Wilbur, Kenneth C., 2012. "Local media ownership and media quality," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 231-242.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.