Fast nonparametric classification based on data depth
AbstractA new procedure, called DD-procedure, is developed to solve the problem of classifying d-dimensional objects into q Ï 2 classes. The procedure is completely nonparametric; it uses q-dimensional depth plots and a very efficient algorithm for discrimination analysis in the depth space [0, 1]q . Specifically, the depth is the zonoid depth, and the algorithm is the procedure. In case of more than two classes several binary classifications are performed and a majority rule is applied. Special treatments are discussed for outsiders, that is, data having zero depth vector. The DD-classifier is applied to simulated as well as real data, and the results are compared with those of similar procedures that have been recently proposed. In most cases the new procedure has comparable error rates, but is much faster than other classification approaches, including the SVM. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics in its series Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics with number 1/12.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Albertus Magnus Platz, 50923 Köln
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/Englisch/index_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Alpha-procedure; zonoid depth; DD-plot; pattern recognition; supervised learning; misclassification rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Tatjana Lange & Karl Mosler & Pavlo Mozharovskyi, 2014. "Fast nonparametric classification based on data depth," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 49-69, February.
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-01-12 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-12 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subhajit Dutta & Anil Ghosh, 2012. "On robust classification using projection depth," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 657-676, June.
- Cuesta-Albertos, J.A. & Nieto-Reyes, A., 2008. "The random Tukey depth," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(11), pages 4979-4988, July.
- Jörnsten, Rebecka, 2004. "Clustering and classification based on the L1 data depth," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 67-89, July.
- K. Mosler, 2003. "Central regions and dependency," Econometrics 0309004, EconWPA.
- Hubert, Mia & Van Driessen, Katrien, 2004. "Fast and robust discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 301-320, March.
- Anil K. Ghosh & Probal Chaudhuri, 2005. "On Maximum Depth and Related Classifiers," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(2), pages 327-350.
- Christmann, Andreas & Rousseeuw, Peter J., 2001. "Measuring overlap in binary regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 65-75, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.