A non-monotonic Relationship between FDI and Trade
AbstractThis paper presents a non-monotonic relationship between foreign direct investment and trade based on the idea that, although FDI eliminates trade costs on the final good, the investing firm has to bear increased trade costs on an intermediate good. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics in its series Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics with number 05/06.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Foreign Direct Investment; Trade; Theory of Location;
Other versions of this item:
- Pontes, Jose Pedro, 2007. "A non-monotonic relationship between FDI and trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 369-373, June.
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pain, Nigel & Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Export Performance and the Role of Foreign Direct Investment," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 62-88, Supplemen.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Markusen, James R., 1992. "Endogenous market structures in international trade (natura facit saltum)," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 109-129, February.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market,"
University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 291-314, June.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Iinvestment and the Single Market," Working Papers 200124, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," Development Working Papers 160, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Bettina Becker & Nigel Pain, 2008.
"What Determines Industrial R&D Expenditure In The Uk?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 76(1), pages 66-87, 01.
- Nigel Pain, 2003. "What Determines Industrial R&D Expenditure in the UK?," NIESR Discussion Papers 131, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:2:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krautheim, Sebastian, 2009.
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2009,20, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Suetrong, Kullapat, 2012. "Trade cost reduction and foreign direct investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1938-1945.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.