Investment in broadband infrastructure under local deregulation: Evidence from the UK broadband market
AbstractThis paper investigates telecommunication operator investment in broadband infrastructure after local deregulation of the wholesale broadband access market. Using a panel dataset covering all 5,598 exchange areas in the United Kingdom, we exploit regional differences in deregulation following a 2008 reform. Controlling for initial conditions, first-difference estimates show that local deregulation increases local investment in infrastructure by both the incumbent and competitors. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Telecommunications Society (ITS) in its series 24th European Regional ITS Conference, Florence 2013 with number 88513.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/
Telecommunication; Regulation; Infrastructure Investment; Wholesale Broadband Access; United Kingdom;
Other versions of this item:
- Nadine Fabritz & Oliver Falck, 2013. "Investment in Broadband Infrastructure Under Local Deregulation: Evidence from the U.K. Broadband Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 4277, CESifo Group Munich.
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2014-01-10 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-ICT-2014-01-10 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-REG-2014-01-10 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nardotto, Mattia & Valletti, Tommaso & Verboven, Frank, 2012. "Unbundling the incumbent: Evidence from UK broadband," CEPR Discussion Papers 9194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2004. "Service-based vs. facility-based competition in local access networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 287-306, June.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013.
"The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey,"
Review of Economics,
Lucius & Lucius, vol. 64(3), pages 193-269.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013. "The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 4545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fabritz, Nadine & Falck, Oliver, 2013.
"Local deregulation of the wholesale broadband access market,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20520, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Nadine Fabritz & Oliver Falck, 2014. "Local Deregulation of the Wholesale Broadband Access Market," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(4), pages 38-43, 01.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.