Causal interrelations among market fundamentals: Evidence from the Europen telecommunications sector
AbstractThis paper investigates the interdependence of stock returns with some other financial variables applied to several European Telecommunications institutions. In particular, using a multivariate vector autoregressive (VAR) approach this study examines the relation, the direction of the relation, as well as the effects among stock returns, index returns, earnings, capital expenditures and interest rate for companies that play major role in their home stock markets. Unlike the fact that many other previous studies have indicated clear findings of the direction of the causality between those variables, this research cannot support a uniform behavior, although, the selected telecommunications companies have many common characteristics. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Telecommunications Society (ITS) in its series 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 with number 60387.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/
Vector autoregressive analysis; causal relations; impulse responses; financial variable; Telecommunications market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, January.
- Owen Lamont, .
"Earnings and Expected Returns,"
CRSP working papers
345, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 1997.
"CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth,"
11843, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Jul 1997.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J., 1998. "CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garin-Munoz, Teresa & Perez-Amaral, Teodosio, 1998. "Econometric modelling of Spanish very long distance international calling," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 237-252, June.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1998. "Permanent, Temporary, and Non-Fundamental Components of Stock Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 1-32, March.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Shiller, R.J., 1988.
"Stock Prices, Earnings And Expected Dividends,"
334, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends," NBER Working Papers 2511, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 858, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings, and Expected Dividends," Scholarly Articles 3224293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Anusua Datta & Sumit Agarwal, 2004. "Telecommunications and economic growth: a panel data approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1649-1654.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000.
"Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Telecommunications,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
237, OECD Publishing.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001. "Regulation, market structure and performance in telecommunications," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 99-142.
- Chung, Kee H. & Wright, Peter & Charoenwong, Charlie, 1998. "Investment opportunities and market reaction to capital expenditure decisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 41-60, January.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 1997.
" On Stock Market Returns and Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 635-54, June.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Maria K. Boutchkova & William L. Megginson, 2000. "Privatization and the Rise of Global Capital Markets," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(4), Winter.
- Christos Agiakloglou & Konstantinos Bloutsos, 2011. "Comparing estimates of risk between markets and telecommunications institutions in Europe," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 575-579.
- Christos Agiakloglou & Sotiris Karkalakos, 2009. "A spatial and economic analysis for telecommunications: Evidence from the European Union," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 11-32, May.
- Shapiro, Daniel M & Sims, William A & Hughes, Gwenn, 1983. "The Efficiency Implications of Earnings Retentions: An Extension," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 327-31, May.
- Gjerde, Oystein & Saettem, Frode, 1999. "Causal relations among stock returns and macroeconomic variables in a small, open economy," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-74, January.
- McConnell, John J. & Muscarella, Chris J., 1985. "Corporate capital expenditure decisions and the market value of the firm," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Wright, Julian, 1999. "International Telecommunications, Settlement Rates, and the FCC," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 267-91, May.
- McFetridge, Donald G, 1978. "The Efficiency Implications of Earnings Retentions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 218-24, May.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.