Do banks benefit from internationalization? Revisiting the market power-risk nexus
AbstractRecent developments on international financial markets have called the benefits of bank globalization into question. Large, internationally active banks have acquired substantial market power, and international activities have not necessarily made banks less risky. Yet, surprisingly little is known about the actual link between bank internationalization, bank risk, and market power. Analyzing this link is the purpose of this paper. We jointly estimate the determinants of risk and market power of banks, and we analyze the effects of changes in terms of the number of foreign countries (the extensive margin) and the volume of foreign assets (the intensive margin). Our paper has four main findings. First, there is a strong negative feedback effect between risk and market power. Second, banks with higher shares of foreign assets, in particular those held through foreign branches, have higher market power at home. Third, holding assets in a large number of foreign countries tends to increase bank risk. Fourth, the impact of internationalization differs across banks from different banking groups and of different size. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies with number 2010,09.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
market power-risk nexus; international banking; micro-data; Germany;
Other versions of this item:
- Claudia M. Buch & Cathérine T. Koch & Michael Koetter, 2013. "Do Banks Benefit from Internationalization? Revisiting the Market Power--Risk Nexus," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 1401-1435.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-11-13 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2010-11-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IFN-2010-11-13 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006.
"Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries,"
DNB Working Papers
101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Ralph De Haas & Iman Van Lelyveld, 2008. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Working Papers 105, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," MPRA Paper 13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2003.
"Can Mergers in Europe Help Banks Hedge Against Macroeconomic Risk,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2003-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Pierre-Guillaume Meon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 315-326.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," DULBEA Working Papers in, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8370, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2007.
"How does competition impact bank risk-taking?,"
Working Paper Series
2007-23, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2006.
"Banking on the principles : compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3954, The World Bank.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, AslI & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2008. "Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 511-542, October.
- Juan Fernández De Guevara & Joaquín Maudos, 2007. "Explanatory Factors Of Market Power In The Banking System," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(3), pages 275-296, 06.
- Maudos, Joaquin & de Guevara, Juan Fernandez, 2007. "The cost of market power in banking: Social welfare loss vs. cost inefficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2103-2125, July.
- Rafael Repullo & David Martínez-Miera, 2008.
"Does Competition Reduce The Risk Of Bank Failure?,"
- Buch, Claudia M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2014.
"International banking and liquidity risk transmission: lessons from across countries,"
675, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Goldberg, Linda, 2014. "International banking and liquidity risk transmission: Lessons from across countries," Discussion Papers 17/2014, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudia M. Buch & Linda S. Goldberg, 2014. "International Banking and Liquidity Risk Transmission: Lessons from Across Countries," NBER Working Papers 20286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudia M. Buch & K. Neugebauer & C. Schröder, 2013.
"Changing Forces of Gravity: How the Crisis Affected International Banking,"
IWH Discussion Papers
15, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Neugebauer, Katja & Schröder, Christoph, 2014. "Changing forces of gravity: How the crisis affected international banking," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-006, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Neugebauer, Katja & Schröder, Christoph, 2013. "Changing forces of gravity: How the crisis affected international banking," Discussion Papers 48/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudia M. Buch & Katja Neugebauer & Christoph Schröder, 2013. "Changing Forces of Gravity: How the Crisis Affected International Banking," IAW Discussion Papers 100, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2013.
"What lies behind the “too-small-to-survive” banks?,"
51431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2013.
- Theoharry Grammatikos, & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2013. "What lies behind the (Too-Small-To-Survive) banks?," LSF Research Working Paper Series 13-12, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Hryckiewicz, Aneta, 2014. "Originators, traders, neutrals, and traditioners – various banking business models across the globe. Does the business model matter for financial stability?," MPRA Paper 55118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Canan Yildirim, 2013.
"Market Power in CEE Banking Sectors and the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0452, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Efthyvoulou, Georgios & Yildirim, Canan, 2014. "Market power in CEE banking sectors and the impact of the global financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 11-27.
- Hakenes , Hendrik & Hasan, Iftekhar & Molyneux, Phil & Xie , Ru, 2014. "Small banks and local economic development," Research Discussion Papers 5/2014, Bank of Finland.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2013.
"Banking globalization, transmission, and monetary policy autonomy,"
640, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2013. "Banking Globalization, Transmission, and Monetary Policy Autonomy," NBER Working Papers 19497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fritsch, Michael & Kritikos, Alexander S. & Pijnenburg, Katharina, 2013. "Business Cycles, Unemployment and Entrepreneurial Entry: Evidence from Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 7852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koetter, Michael, 2013. "Market structure and competition in German banking: Modules I and IV," Working Papers 06/2013, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Galema, Rients & Koetter, Michael & Liesegang, Caroline, 2013. "Cost leadership and bank internationalization," Discussion Papers 57/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Francesco Marchionne & Alberto Zazzaro, 2013. "Rischio e concorrenza nel sistema bancario italiano durante la crisi finanziaria globale," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 86, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.