Portfolio holdings in the euro area - home bias and the role of international, domestic and sector-specific factors
AbstractThis paper aims to identify the determinants of portfolio restructuring in EMU member states since the introduction of the euro and especially during the financial turbulence of the past years. We find that, besides exchange rate volatility and traditional indicators of information and transaction costs, the perception of sovereign risk has become more important as a determinant of portfolio allocation. The shares of financial corporations have been affected disproportionately by this development. At the same time, banks substantially reduced their international investment, possibly the result of a deleveraging process. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies with number 2011,07.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Financial Integration; Home Bias; Institutional Sectors; Financial Crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-05-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-05-07 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2011-05-07 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2011-05-07 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bignon, Vincent & Breton, Régis & Rojas Breu, Mariana, 2013.
"Currency Union with and without Banking Union,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12105, Paris Dauphine University.
- Gajewski, Krzysztof & Olszewski, Krzysztof & Pawłowska, Małgorzata & Rogowski, Wojciech & Tchorek, Grzegorz & Zięba, Jolanta, 2012.
"Integracja finansowa w Europie po wprowadzeniu euro. Przegląd literatury
[Financial integration in Europe after the introduction of the euro. A literature overview]," MPRA Paper 42482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Torsten Schmidt & Lina Zwick, 2013. "Uncertainty and Episodes of Extreme Capital Flows in the Euro Area," Ruhr Economic Papers 0461, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.