Dynamics Of Banking Technology Adoption : An Application To Internet Banking
AbstractThis paper is concerned with examining behaviour of firms (banks) and consumers (banks’ customers) in the event of a new technology (internet banking) introduction. The determinants of consumer adoption of internet banking are characterised using survey data from Korea in both static and dynamic framework. I find evidence that adoption of internet banking is influenced by sex, age, marital status, degree of exposure to internet banking, and the characteristics of the banks. A duration analysis shows no evidence of first mover advantage (order effects) in internet banking whilst the largest bank (rank effects) in commercial banking remains dominant in internet banking. The results imply that the internet bankin g adoption is dominated by social norm effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 664.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
internet banking ; technology adoption ; first-mover advantage ; pre-emption ; social norm;
Other versions of this item:
- Chang, Yoonhee Tina, 2003. "Dynamics of Banking Technology Adoption: An Application to Internet Banking," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 41, Royal Economic Society.
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L00 - Industrial Organization - - General - - - General
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gerard Llobet & Rubén Hernández-Murillo & Roberto Fuentes, 2008.
"Strategic Online-Banking Adoption,"
- Byoung-Min Kim & Richard Widdows & Tansel Yilmazer, 2005. "The determinants of consumers’ adoption of Internet banking," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.