Optimal Resource Allocation in General Cournot-competitive Equilibrium
AbstractConventional economic theory stipulates that output in Cournot competition is too low relative to that which is attained in perfect competition. We revisit this result in a General Cournot-competitive Equilibrium model with two industries that differ only in terms of productivity. We show that in general equilibrium, the more efficient industry produces too little and the less efficient industry produces too much compared to an optimal scenario with perfect competition. JEL classification: Cournot oligopoly ; GOLE (General Oligopolistic Equilibrium) ; industrial policy. JEL codes: D50 ; H21 ; L13
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 1010.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ervik, Inger Sommerfelt & Soegaard, Christian, 2013. "Optimal Resource Allocation In General Cournotcompetitive Equilibrium," Working Papers in Economics 05/13, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avinash K. Dixit & Gene M. Grossman, 1987.
"Targeted Export Promotion with Several Oligopolistic Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
1344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash K. & Grossman, Gene M., 1986. "Targeted export promotion with several oligopolistic industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 233-249, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.