Competitive versus Comparative Advantage
AbstractI explore the interactions between comparative, competitive and absolute advantage in a two-country model of oligopoly in general equilibrium. Comparative advantage always determines the direction of trade, but both competitive and absolute advantage affect resource allocation, trade patterns and trade volumes. Competitive advantage in the sense of more home firms drives foreign firms out of marginal sectors but also makes some marginal home sectors uncompetitive. Absolute advantage in the sense of a uniform fall in home costs tends to raise home output in all sectors but also leads both countries to specialise less in accordance with comparative advantage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School Of Economics, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 200219.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 18 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Comparative and absolute advantage; comparative and competitive advantage; exchange-rate protection; GOLE (General Oligopolistic Equilibrium); market integration;
Other versions of this item:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 680-93, November.
- Weinstein, David E., 1992. "Competition and unilateral dumping," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3-4), pages 379-388, May.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Brakman, Steven & Heijdra, Ben J., 2002. "The monopolistic competition revolution in retrospect," CCSO Working Papers 200215, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1977.
"Comparative Advantage, Trade, and Payments in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 823-39, December.
- R. Dornbusch & S. Fischer & P. A. Samuelson, 1976. "Comparative Advantage, Trade and Payments in a Ricardian Model With a Continuum of Goods," Working papers 178, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- J. Peter Neary, 2000. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade Theory," Working Papers 200025, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J.Peter Neary, 2001.
"Of Hype and Hyperbolas: Introducing the New Economic Geography,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 536-561, June.
- J. Peter Neary, 2000. "Of Hype and Hyperbolas - Introducing the new Economic Geography," Working Papers 200019, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Shimomua, Koji, 2008. "Comparative Advantage and Trade Liberalization in a Chamberlinian-Ricardian Model," MPRA Paper 8199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Colacicco, Rudy, 2012. "The "Average" Within-Sector Firm Heterogeneity in General Oligopolistic Equilibrium," MPRA Paper 40212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2009.
"Does entry improve welfare? A general equilibrium approach to competition policy,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 98(2), pages 97-118, November.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2005. "Does Entry Improve Welfare ? A General Equilibrium Approach of Competition Policy," Working Papers 2005-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2008. "Does entry improve welfare? A general equilibrium approach to competition policy," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-14, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Daniel Lederman & William F. Maloney, 2012. "Does What You Export Matter? In Search of Empirical Guidance for Industrial Policies," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 9371, July.
- Colacicco, Rudy, 2012.
"Strategic Trade Policy in General Oligopolistic Equilibrium,"
38118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rudy Colacicco, 2013. "Strategic Trade Policy in General Oligopolistic Equilibrium," FIW Working Paper series 126, FIW.
- Sarra Ben Yahmed, 2012. "Gender Wage Discrimination and Trade Openness," AMSE Working Papers 1233, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Toru Kikuchi, 2008. "Economic Integration in a Chamberlinian-Ricardian World," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_07, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Neary, J Peter, 2006.
CEPR Discussion Papers
5982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yomogida, Morihiro, 2008. "Competition, technology, and trade in oligopolistic industries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 127-137.
- G.A. Minerva, 2006. "Natural Advantage, Location and Trade Patterns in Increasing Returns to Scale Industries," Working Papers 560, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Basile & Luca De Benedictis, 2004. "Regional Unemployment and Productivity in Europe and the US," ERSA conference papers ersa04p38, European Regional Science Association.
- Neary, J. Peter, 2009.
"Two and a Half Theories of Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7600, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klinger, Bailey & Lederman, Daniel, 2004. "Discovery and development : an empricial exploration of"new"products," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3450, The World Bank.
- Lee, Chaehwa & Wilhelm, Wilbert, 2010. "On integrating theories of international economics in the strategic planning of global supply chains and facility location," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 225-240, March.
- J.Peter Neary, 2003.
"Globalisation and Market Structure,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
100, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Sarra Ben Yahmed, 2012. "Gender Wage Discrimination and Trade Openness. Prejudiced employers in an open industry," Working Papers halshs-00793561, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.