Scale Economies, Unemployment, and Industry Agglomeration
AbstractThis paper tries to resolve the paradox raised by Corden and Findlay (1975). In this paper, it is assumed that Manufacture sector has scale economies. Both factor prices and product prices can adjust in a general equilibrium system. In a closed economy, this paper concludes that, with the expansion of capital stock both the unemployment rate and the absolute amount of unemployment will decrease. In an open economy, this paper sets up an asymmetric model, of which only one region has fixed wage rate. It will help us to investigate how the trading cost would affect the unemployment and output of the region, which may give some helpful policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0511004.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 09 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 12
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
fixed wage rate; unemployment; agglomeration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gianmarco Ottaviano, 1996.
"Monopolistic Competition, Trade and Endogenous Spatial Fluctuations,"
240, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P., 2001. "Monopolistic competition, trade, and endogenous spatial fluctuations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 51-77, February.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo, 1996. "Monopolistic Competition, Trade, and Endogenous Spatial Fluctuations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1327, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.