Market Structure and Trade Policy under Asymmetric Information
AbstractThe paper compares tariffs and import quotas when the home firm has private information about its true cost and the government offers incentive contracts to extract this information. We highlight the role of underlying market structure in determining the ranking of the two policy instruments. Our results show that quotas are at least as efficient as tariffs in implementing the optimal level of protection and strictly more for a wide range of market structures. The exact condition for this is identified. Welfare-based ranking of the two instruments follows from this.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0402004.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 05 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on Win98; pages: 31
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Tariffs versus Quotas; Asymmetric Information; Conjectural Variations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly,"
NBER Working Papers
1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Matschke, Xenia, 2003. "Tariff and quota equivalence in the presence of asymmetric information," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 209-223, October.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"Protection for Sale,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Brainard, S.L. & Martimort, D., 1992.
"Strategic Trade Policy with Incompletely Informed Policymakers,"
92.277, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Brainard, S. Lael & Martimort, David, 1997. "Strategic trade policy with incompletely informed policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 33-65, February.
- S. Lael Brainard & David Martimort, 1992. "Strategic Trade Policy With Incompletely Informed Policymakers," NBER Working Papers 4069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Industrial policy under monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 79-102, February.
- Martin K. Perry, 1982. "Oligopoly and Consistent Conjectural Variations," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 197-205, Spring.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- Itoh, Motoshige & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1982. "Tariffs, Quotas, and Market Structure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 295-305, May.
- Qui, Larry D., 1994. "Optimal strategic trade policy under asymmetric information," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 333-354, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.