Competitive Balance in the Portuguese premier league of professional soccer
AbstractPaper is under revision, pdf is not available. Competitive balance is what makes the sport becoming an attractive event. Contrary to other industries, a reduction in competition and a hypothetically dominant position could mean the end of the championship. If there is only one team, the criterion for league cannot be met. In this paper we consider the advantage of the team that plays at home and, using an ordered probit model, the strength for all teams is estimated. At the same time, is made an evaluation on the evolution of the competitive balance in the Portuguese premier league of professional soccer. The conclusions point that this balance has increased, but also the difference between the best team and the worst one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0211025.
Date of creation: 27 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Paper is under revision, pdf is not available.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Competitive Balance; Soccer; Ordered Probit;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L19 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Other
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2002-12-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-DCM-2002-12-02 (Discrete Choice Models)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haan, Marco & Koning, Ruud H. & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2002.
"Market forces in European soccer,"
02F18, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Ruud H. Koning, 1999. "Competitive Balance in Dutch Soccer," Industrial Organization 9905001, EconWPA.
- Dobson,Stephen & Goddard,John, 2011. "The Economics of Football," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521517140, October.
- Barajas, Angel, 2004.
"Modelo de valoración de clubes de fútbol basado en los factores clave de su negocio
[Valuation model for football clubs based on the key factors of their business]," MPRA Paper 13158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barajas, Angel & Fernández-Jardón, Carlos & Crolley, Liz, 2005. "Does sports performance influence revenues and economic results in Spanish football?," MPRA Paper 3234, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.