Generic Determinacy of Equilibria with Local Substitution
AbstractConsumption of a good at one point in time is a substitute for consumption of the same good an instant earlier or later. Utility functions which conform to this fact must necessarily be non-time separable, as Hindy, Huang, and Kreps show. When agents' utility functions are non-time separable in the required way, the price space consists of semimartingales with an absolutely continuous compensator. In general, this space is not closed under taking pointwise maxima, that is, it is not a lattice. Therefore, neither the Mas-Colell/Richard existence theorem nor the determinacy theorem by Shannon/Zame apply. In a paper with Peter Bank, existence is established for such intertemporal economies; here, I show that generically, the number of equilibria is finite and that equilibrium allocations depend continuously on endowments. The notion of genericity is (finite) prevalence as developed by Anderson/Zame.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 0303001.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Note: 15 pages, Acrobat .pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Other versions of this item:
- Riedel, Frank, 2005. "Generic determinacy of equilibria with local substitution," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 603-616, August.
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Consumer Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-03-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Shannon and William R. Zame., 1999.
"Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium,"
Economics Working Papers
E99-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2002. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 631-662, March.
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2000. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," GE, Growth, Math methods 9912001, EconWPA.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Richard, Scott F., 1991. "A new approach to the existence of equilibria in vector lattices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Darrell Duffie & William Zame, 1988.
"The Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model,"
88-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Asset Pricing with Stochastic Differential Utility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 411-36.
- Frank Riedel & Peter Bank, 2001. "Existence and structure of stochastic equilibria with intertemporal substitution," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 487-509.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu, 1992. "Intertemporal Preferences for Uncertain Consumption: A Continuous Time Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 781-801, July.
- Shannon, Chris, 1994. "Regular nonsmooth equations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 147-165, March.
- Duffie, Darrel & Lions, Pierre-Louis, 1992. "PDE solutions of stochastic differential utility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 577-606.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Kreps, David, 1992. "On intertemporal preferences in continuous time : The case of certainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 401-440.
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970. "Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Anderson Robert M. & Zame William R., 2001. "Genericity with Infinitely Many Parameters," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-64, February.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Stochastic Differential Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 353-94, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.