Risk Measure Pricing and Hedging in Incomplete Markets
AbstractThis article attempts to extend the complete market option pricing theory to incomplete markets. Instead of eliminating the risk by a perfect hedging portfolio, partial hedging will be adopted and some residual risk at expiration will be tolerated. The risk measure (or risk indifference) prices charged for buying or selling an option are associated to the capital required for dynamic hedging so that the risk exposure will not increase. The associated optimal hedging portfolio is decided by minimizing a convex measure of risk. We will give the definition of risk-efficient options and confirm that options evaluated by risk measure pricing rules are indeed risk-efficient. Relationships to utility indifference pricing and pricing by valuation and stress measures proposed in Carr et al. (2001) will be discussed. Examples using shortfall risk measure and average VaR will be discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0406004.
Date of creation: 08 Jun 2004
Date of revision: 06 Apr 2005
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Pricing and Hedging; Incomplete Markets; Dynamic Shortfall Risk; Average Value at Risk; Utility Indifference Pricing; Convex Measure of Risk; Coherent Risk Measure; Risk-Efficient Options; Semimartingale Models;
Other versions of this item:
- Mingxin Xu, 2006. "Risk measure pricing and hedging in incomplete markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 51-71, January.
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-06-13 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-06-13 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans FÃllmer & Peter Leukert, 2000. "Efficient hedging: Cost versus shortfall risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 117-146.
- Marek Musiela & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2004. "A valuation algorithm for indifference prices in incomplete markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 399-414, 08.
- Jun Sekine, 2004. "Dynamic Minimization of Worst Conditional Expectation of Shortfall," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 605-618.
- H. Föllmer & Y.M. Kabanov, 1997.
"Optional decomposition and Lagrange multipliers,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 69-81.
- Michael Mania & Martin Schweizer, 2005. "Dynamic exponential utility indifference valuation," Papers math/0508489, arXiv.org.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Pauline Barrieu & Nicole El Karoui, 2005. "Inf-convolution of risk measures and optimal risk transfer," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 269-298, 04.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001.
"On the coherence of Expected Shortfall,"
cond-mat/0104295, arXiv.org, revised May 2002.
- Marek Musiela & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2004. "An example of indifference prices under exponential preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 229-239, 05.
- Julien Hugonnier & Dmitry Kramkov & Walter Schachermayer, 2005. "On Utility-Based Pricing Of Contingent Claims In Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 203-212.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1983. "A stochastic calculus model of continuous trading: Complete markets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Kasper Larsen & Traian Pirvu & Steven Shreve & Reha Tütüncü, 2005. "Satisfying convex risk limits by trading," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 177-195, 04.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Carr, Peter & Geman, Helyette & Madan, Dilip B., 2001. "Pricing and hedging in incomplete markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 131-167, October.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "Introduction to a theory of value coherent with the no-arbitrage principle," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 275-297.
- Foldes, Lucien, 2000. "Valuation and martingale properties of shadow prices: An exposition," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1641-1701, October.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "The Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure and the Valuation Problem in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 39-52.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Thomas Goll & Ludger Rüschendorf, 2001. "Minimax and minimal distance martingale measures and their relationship to portfolio optimization," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 557-581.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "On dynamic measures of risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 451-482.
- Ernst Eberlein & Jean Jacod, 1997. "On the range of options prices (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 131-140.
- N. Bellamy & M. Jeanblanc, 2000. "Incompleteness of markets driven by a mixed diffusion," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 209-222.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Kramkov, D.O., 1994. "Optional decomposition of supermartingales and hedging contingent claims in incomplete security markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 294, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Valuation Of Claims On Nontraded Assets Using Utility Maximization," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 351-373.
- Takuji Arai & Masaaki Fukasawa, 2011. "Convex risk measures for good deal bounds," Papers 1108.1273, arXiv.org.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Žitković, 2010. "Partial equilibria with convex capital requirements: existence, uniqueness and stability," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Michail Anthropelos & Nikolaos E. Frangos & Stylianos Z. Xanthopoulos & Athanasios N. Yannacopoulos, 2008. "On contingent claims pricing in incomplete markets: A risk sharing approach," Papers 0809.4781, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2012.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Zitkovic, 2009. "Partial Equilibria with Convex Capital Requirements: Existence, Uniqueness and Stability," Papers 0901.3318, arXiv.org.
- Pascal François & Geneviève Gauthier & Frédéric Godin, 2012. "Optimal Hedging when the Underlying Asset Follows a Regime-switching Markov Process," Cahiers de recherche 1234, CIRPEE.
- Mustafa Pınar, 2011. "Gain–loss based convex risk limits in discrete-time trading," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 299-321, August.
- Michail Anthropelos, 2012. "Agents' Strategic Behavior in Optimal Risk Sharing," Papers 1206.0384, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.