Pricing and Hedging Options in Incomplete Markets: Idiosyncratic Risk, Systematic Risk and Stochastic Volatility
AbstractStarting from the European option valuation framework of Chauveau & Gatfaoui (2002), we establish the link with stochastic volatility models. And, we propose both a new vision and a general framework for valuing European options in the light of systematic and idiosyncratic risks affecting risky assets in the financial market. Therefore, we account for the well-known volatility smile in the light of the literature addressing the determinants of the smile effect among which stochastic volatility and market risk. We further discuss briefly the hedging of European options along with the local risk minimization principle. Specifically, we attempt to find a strategy, which dominates the usual partial hedging technique often imposed by market’s incompleteness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0404002.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 07 Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 26
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Call pricing; idiosyncratic risk; incomplete market; stochastic volatility; systematic risk.;
Other versions of this item:
- Thierry Chauveau & Hayette Gatfaoui, 2004. "Pricing and Hedging Options in Incomplete Markets: Idiosyncratic Risk, Systematic Risk and Stochastic Volatility," Research Paper Series 122, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-04-11 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-04-11 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "The Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure and the Valuation Problem in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 39-52.
- Schweizer, Martin, 1999. "A minimality property of the minimal martingale measure," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-31, March.
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Analytical Comparisons of Option prices in Stochastic Volatility Models," OFRC Working Papers Series 2002mf03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Stein, Elias M & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Stock Price Distributions with Stochastic Volatility: An Analytic Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 727-52.
- Chauveau, Thierry & Gatfaoui, Hayette, 2002. "Systematic risk and idiosyncratic risk: a useful distinction for valuing European options," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 305-321.
- Bates, David S, 1996. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in Deutsche Mark Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 69-107.
- Norbert Hofmann & Eckhard Platen & Martin Schweizer, 1992.
"Option Pricing Under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 153-187.
- N. Hofmann & E. Platen & M. Schweizer, 1992. "Option Pricing under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility," Discussion Paper Serie B 209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Rüdiger Frey & Carlos A. Sin, 1999. "Bounds on European Option Prices under Stochastic Volatility," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 97-116.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.