Monies and Banking
AbstractThis paper investigates the demand by households for transaction services from the financial sector. Households buy several goods with any of several media of exchange. The households choose the medium of exchange to use for each type of good, how much of each type of medium to hold, and the frequencies of commodity and financial transactions. The variety of financial services demanded by a household depends positively on the household's income, with households at the bottom of the income distribution demanding no financial services at all. Household demand for financial services also depends on how the household allocates its income among the available goods. Households with the same income but different allocations will demand different mixes of financial services. These results have several implications for the organization of the banking market, especially the location of bank branches, and the availability of banking services in different areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania in its series Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers with number 97-11.
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mizrach, Bruce & Santomero, Anthony M., 1990. "A liquidity-in-advance model of the demand for money under price uncertainty," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 143-159, August.
- Romer, David, 1987. "The monetary transmission mechanism in a general equilibrium version of the baumol-tobin model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-122, July.
- Santomero, Anthony M & Seater, John J, 1996.
"Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 942-60, November.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1996. "Alternative monies and the demand for media of exchange," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 942-964.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1995. "Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1974. "A Model of the Demand for Money by Households," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 89-102, March.
- Arthur B. Kennickell & Martha Starr-McCluer & Annika E. Sunden, 1997. "Family finances in the U.S.: recent evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jan, pages 1-24.
- Seater, John J., 2008.
"The Demand for Currency Substitution,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2008-2, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- John J. Seater, 2008. "The Demand for Currency Substitution," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 55(4), pages 405-437, December.
- Seater, John J., 2008. "The Demand for Currency Substitution," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(35), pages 1-30.
- Alejandra Anastasi & Emilio Blanco & Pedro Elosegui & Máximo Sangiácomo, 2006.
"Bancarization and Determinants of Availability of Banking Services in Argentina,"
BCRA Working Paper Series
200615, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- Alejandra Anastasi & Emilio Blanco & Pedro Elosegui & Máximo Sangiácomo, 2010. "Bankarization and Determinants of Availability of Banking Services in Argentina," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(60), pages 137-209, October -.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.