Network Economics with Application to Finance
AbstractNetworks are common in financial services. Perfect competition does not decentralize optimality on a network, and coordination of participants expectations and investments is crucial for success. Financial exchange networks exhibit two kinds of externalities: liquidity enhancement by size expansion, and underpriced provision of market price information to outside rivals. We discuss the interaction of these externalities in alternative exchange network structures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics of Networks in its series Financial Networks with number _004.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salop, Steven C & Scheffman, David T, 1983. "Raising Rivals' Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 267-71, May.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Beggs, Alan W & Klemperer, Paul, 1992.
"Multi-period Competition with Switching Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 651-66, May.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1987. " Trading Mechanisms and Stock Returns: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 533-53, July.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Optimal Contracts With Lock-In,"
e-88-45, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1987. "Optimal Contracts with Lock-In," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt19f324hf, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1987. "Optimal Contracts with Lock-In," Economics Working Papers 8758, University of California at Berkeley.
- David, Paul A, 1985. "Clio and the Economics of QWERTY," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 332-37, May.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-31, March.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1976. "Price Dispersion in the Government Securities Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 721-40, August.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1979. "Structural Organization of Secondary Markets: Clearing Frequency, Dealer Activity and Liquidity Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(3), pages 577-93, June.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-94, May.
- Berg, Sanford V., 1988. "Duopoly compatibility standards with partial cooperation and standards leadership," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 35-53.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1990. "The Fable of the Keys," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Product Compatibility Choice in a Market with Technological Progress," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(0), pages 146-65, Suppl. No.
- Gallini, Nancy & Karp, Larry S, 1989. "Sales and Consumer Lock-In," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(223), pages 279-94, August.
- Mendelson, Haim, 1987. "Consolidation, Fragmentation, and Market Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 189-207, June.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-41, August.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Desirability of Compatibility in the Absence of Network Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1165-81, December.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 1990. "On the adoption of innovations with 'network' externalities," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 299-308, June.
- Fabio M. Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2011.
"Plastic Clashes: Competition Among Closed And Open Payment Systems,"
University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1099-1125, December.
- Fabio Maria Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2010. "Plastic Clashes: Competition Among Closed and Open Payment Systems," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0111, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Malkamäki, Markku & Topi, Jukka, 1999. "Strategic Challenges for Exchanges and Securities Settlement," Research Discussion Papers 21/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Laura Baraldi, 2004. "Esternalita' Di Rete: Una Rassegna," Working Papers 12_2004, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Pippow Ingo & Schoder Detlef, 2002. "The Demand for Stored Value Payment Instruments," Microeconomics 0204002, EconWPA.
- Malkamäki, Markku, 1999. "Are there Economies of Scale in Stock Exchange Activities?," Research Discussion Papers 4/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Ben Slimane, FATEN, 2007.
"L'Evolution des Marchés Boursiers Européens: Enjeux et limites
[European Stock Market Evolution]," MPRA Paper 2607, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Heiko Schmiedel, 2004.
"Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence,"
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Schmiedel , Heiko, 2003. "Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence," Research Discussion Papers 2/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Martin Gisiger & Werner Weber, 2005. "Switzerland's Financial Infrastructure: Today and Tomorrow," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 74(4), pages 51-62.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2002. "Total factor productivity growth in European stock exchanges: A non-parametric frontier approach," Research Discussion Papers 11/2002, Bank of Finland.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007.
"Capital market development : whither Latin America ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4156, The World Bank.
- Augusto de la Torre & Juan Carlos Gozzi & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2008. "Capital Market Development: Whither Latin America?," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Markets Volatility and Performance in Emerging Markets, pages 121-154 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Kane, Edward J., 2002.
"Event-study evidence of the value of relaxing long-standing regulatory restraints on banks, 1970-2000,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 439-463.
- Kenneth A. Carow & Edward J. Kane, 2001. "Event-Study Evidence of the Value of Relaxing Longstanding Regulatory Restraints on Banks, 1970-2000," NBER Working Papers 8594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Economides,, .
"How to Enhance Market Liquidity,"
_002, Economics of Networks.
- Mikael Stenkula, 2003. "Carl Menger and the network theory of money," European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 587-606.
- Wheatley, W. Parker, 2003. "Survival And Ownership Of Internet Marketplaces For Agriculture," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22214, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Marano, Angelo, 2000. "Beyond The London-Frankfurt Dichothomy. What Space For The Other European Financial Centers?," ERSA conference papers ersa00p407, European Regional Science Association.
- Robert Hunt, 2003. "Antitrust issues in payment card networks: can they do that? should we let them?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Q2, pages 14-23.
- Kari Kemppainen, 2004. "Competition and regulation in European retail payment systems," Microeconomics 0404008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.