Does fear of crime affect apartment prices?
AbstractEvidence shows that crime affects housing prices. However, whether fear of crime impacts equally on prices of properties is an issue little investigated in the international literature. In this article we assess the impact of perceived safety on housing prices in the city of Stockholm, capital of Sweden. The study uses data over apartment sales and responses of 2008â€šÃ„Ã´s Stockholm Safety Survey aggregated by parishes. The effect of perceived safety is assessed using hedonic pricing modelling controlling for a number of land use covariates using Geographical Information System (GIS). The paper finalises with a discussion of the key findings of study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa10p1012.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vania A Ceccato & Folke Snickars, 2000. "Adapting GIS technology to the needs of local planning," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(6), pages 923-937, November.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Steve Gibbons, 2003.
"The Costs of Urban Property Crime,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0574, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pope, Jaren C., 2008. "Fear of crime and housing prices: Household reactions to sex offender registries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 601-614, November.
- Marko Kryvobokov & Mats Wilhelmsson, 2007. "Analysing location attributes with a hedonic model for apartment prices in Donetsk, Ukraine," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 157-178, June.
- Thaler, Richard, 1978. "A note on the value of crime control: Evidence from the property market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 137-145, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.