Regional Income Inequality and Convergence Processes in the EU-25
AbstractThe paper investigates income inequality and convergence among the EU-25 countries and their regions at NUTS 3 (Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics) level during the period 1995-2002. We measure the level of income inequality and its decomposition distinguishing the between and within country inequality as the components of the overall income inequality of EU-25, EU-15 and the new member states (NMS) of the EU recent enlargement in May 2004. In order to assess the inequality in living standards GDP in purchasing power standards (PPS) is used. In the empirical analysis of the convergence processes we consider the effects of interactions among neighbouring regions implementing spatial econometrics techniques. The estimation results are sensitive to the control for national effects. While the EU-25 and the EU-15 experienced a slow but significant process of absolute convergence there is no evidence found for regional convergence when national effects are considered. In the NMS the process of conditional convergence across regions even turns out to be significantly negative. This indicates that there were some divergence tendencies in the NMS during the period of 1995 â€“ 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa06p229.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Other versions of this item:
- Paas, Tiiu & Schlitte, Friso, 2007. "Regional income inequality and convergence processes in the EU-25," HWWI Research Papers 1-11, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-01-14 (European Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2007-01-14 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"Transfers, social safety nets and economic growth,"
Economics Working Papers
139, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997. "Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1996. "Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 96/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2004.
"Convergence in Per-capita GDP Across European Regions: A Reappraisal,"
CEIS Research Paper
58, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2006. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions: a reappraisal," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 549-568, September.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Space and Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-129/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael Bräuninger & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2008.
"Agglomeration, Spatial Interaction and Convergence in the EU,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 128(3), pages 329-349.
- Bräuninger, Michael & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2005. "Agglomeration, Spatial Interaction and Convergence in the EU," HWWA Discussion Papers 322, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abigail Barr, 1995.
"The missing factor: entrepreneurial networks, enterprises and economic growth in Ghana,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1995-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Abigail Barr, 1995. "The missing factor: entrepreneurial networks, enterprises and economic growth in Ghana," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Stabilization Policy, Learning by Doing, and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1130, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1997. "Stabilization Policy, Learning-by-Doing, and Economic Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 152-66, April.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura, 2001. "Regional convergence in the European Union: From hypothesis to the actual trends," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 333-356.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Laura De Dominicis & Gianfranco Piras, 2005. "The relationship between Regional Growth and Regional Inequality in EU and transition countries - a Spatial Econometric Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa05p168, European Regional Science Association.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Convergence and the effects of spatial interaction," HWWA Discussion Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Roberto Basile & Gianfranco Piras, 2005. "Using Spatial Panel Data in Modelling Regional Growth and Convergence," ISAE Working Papers 55, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2004.
"Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p524, European Regional Science Association.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2005. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects," ISAE Working Papers 51, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Enrique López-Bazo & Esther Vayá & Manuel Artís, 2004. "Regional Externalities And Growth: Evidence From European Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 43-73.
- Stephan, Andreas & Happich, Michael & Geppert, Kurt, 2005.
"Regional Disparities in the European Union: Convergence and Agglomeration,"
Working Paper Series
2005,4, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), The Postgraduate Research Programme Capital Markets and Finance in the Enlarged Europe.
- Kurt Geppert & Andreas Stephan, 2008. "Regional disparities in the European Union: Convergence and agglomeration," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 193-217, 06.
- Kurt Geppert & Michael Happich & Andreas Stephan, 2004. "Regional disparities in the European Union: Convergence and Agglomeration," ERSA conference papers ersa04p219, European Regional Science Association.
- Kurt Geppert & Michael Happich & Andreas Stephan, 2005. "Regional Disparities in the European Union: Convergence and Agglomeration," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 525, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Rodrik, Dani, 1991.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1991. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Manfred M. & Stirböck, Claudia, 2004. "Regional Income Convergence in the Enlarged Europe, 1995-2000: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-42, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Annekatrin Niebuhr & Friso Schlitte, 2004. "Convergence, trade and factor mobility in the European Union — Implications for enlargement and regional policy," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 167-176, May.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2000. "A Reassessment of the Relationship between Inequality and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 869-887, September.
- Juan Antonio Duro, 2003. "Factor decomposition of spatial income inequality: a revision," Working Papers wpdea0302, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2006. "Spatial convergence," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 199-215, 06.
- Tondl, Gabriele & Vuksic, Goran, 2003. "What makes regions in Eastern Europe catching up? The role of foreign investment, human resources and geography," ZEI Working Papers B 12-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Egle Tafenau & Tiiu Paas, 2011. "Regional inequality and economic growth: interactions of the relationship with the level of economic development and speed of growth," ERSA conference papers ersa10p938, European Regional Science Association.
- Schwengler, Barbara, 2013. "Einfluss der europäischen Regionalpolitik auf die deutsche Regionalförderung," IAB Discussion Paper 201318, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Christ, Julian P., 2010. "Geographic concentration and spatial inequality: Two decades of EPO patenting at the level of European micro regions," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 32/2010, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Schlitte, Friso, 2008. "EU enlargement and convergence: Does market access matter?," HWWI Research Papers 1-16, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wojcik, 2010.
"Active Labour Market Policies and Unemployment Convergence in Transition,"
Review of Economic Analysis,
Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(1), pages 46-72, January.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna & Wójcik, Piotr, 2009. "Active Labour Market Policies and Unemployment Convergence in Transition," MPRA Paper 15201, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabiano COMPAGNUCCI & Augusto CUSINATO, 2011.
"Industrial Districts and the City: Relationships in the Knowledge Age. Evidence from the Italian Case,"
365, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Augusto Cusinato & Fabiano Compagnucci, 2011. "Industrial Districts and the City: Relationships in the Knowledge Age. Evidence from the Italian Case," ERSA conference papers ersa11p237, European Regional Science Association.
- Boll, Christina, 2010. "Mind the gap!: The amount of German mothers' care bill and its game theoretical issues," HWWI Research Papers 1-29, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- George Petrakos & Panagiotis Artelaris, 2009. "European Regional Convergence Revisited: A Weighted Least Squares Approach," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 40(2), pages 314-331.
- Davor Mikulic & Ivan Kovac, 2012. "The Role Of International Trade In Convergence Process," Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 8(4), pages 7-26.
- Eckey, Hans-Friedrich & Türck, Matthias, 2007. "Convergence of EU-Regions. A Literature Report," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 10, pages 5-32.
- Juliana Dahl, 2013. "Innovation and Growth in Regions with Specific Geographical Features," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 463, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.