Comparisons of efficiencies between two types of DMUs : an application to Japanese public water companies
AbstractA water supply system composed of water production facilities and transmission facilities obtains water from various sources such as surface water, groundwater and so on. Although there are many empirical studies such as measuring efficiency, productivity and/or returns to scale for water supply organizations, almost all of them neglect the variety of water sources. The main purpose of this study is to compare the efficiencies of two types of DMUs (decision making units) e.g. water companies whose major source is underground vs. those whose major source is non-underground. In this study, using observations of Japanese public water companies, we will apply rank-sum-test of DEA (data envelopment analysis) approach developed by Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney to identify whether the differences between two gropes are significant. After we examine whether two groups of DMUs have different distribution functions of efficiency, we will measure efficiencies of two gropes and compare them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa03p179.
Date of creation: Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-02-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2004-02-29 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Takuya Urakami, 2001. "articles: Identifying network density and scale economies for Japanese water supply organizations," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 211-230.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.