The worldwide governance indicators project : answering the critics
AbstractThe Worldwide Governance Indicators, reporting estimates of six dimensions of governance for over 200 countries between 1996 and 2005, have become widely used among policymakers and academics. They have also attracted some explicit written criticisms. In this short paper the authors synthesize 11 critiques offered by four recent papers. They then refute them as either conceptually incorrect or empirically unsubstantiated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4149.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Governance Indicators; National Governance; Statistical&Mathematical Sciences; Economic Policy; Institutions and Governance; Public Sector Corruption&Anticorruption Measures;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-10 (Development)
- NEP-REG-2007-03-10 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"Do Institutions Cause Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
10568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Kaufmann & Aart Kraay, 2002.
"Growth without Governance,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Charles Oman & Christiane Arndt, 2006. "Governance Indicators for Development," OECD Development Centre Policy Insights 33, OECD Publishing.
- Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2006. "Are international databases on corruption reliable? A comparison of expert opinion surveys and household surveys in sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers DT/2006/17, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Knack, Stephen, 2006. "Measuring corruption in Eastern Europe and Central Asia : a critique of the cross-country indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3968, The World Bank.
- Haggard, Stephan & Tiede, Lydia, 2011. "The Rule of Law and Economic Growth: Where are We?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 673-685, May.
- Brown, David S. & Touchton, Michael & Whitford, Andrew, 2011. "Political Polarization as a Constraint on Corruption: A Cross-national Comparison," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1516-1529, September.
- Knoll, Martin & Zloczysti, Petra, 2012.
"The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How Many Dimensions are Really Being Measured?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 900-915.
- Martin Knoll & Petra Zloczysti, 2011. "The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How Many Dimensions Are Really Being Measured?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1148, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Knoll, Martin & Zloczysti, Petra, 2011. "The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How many dimensions are really being measured," Discussion Papers 2011/2, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Kresimir Jurlin & Nevenka Cuckovic, 2010. "Comparative analysis of the quality of European institutions 2003-2009: convergence or divergence?," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 34(1), pages 71-98.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009.
"Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions,"
Working Papers CELEG
0907, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Battisti, Michele & Di Vaio, Gianfranco, 2010. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 12-21, January.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 72/2009, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peristiani, Stavros, 2013.
"Prestigious stock exchanges: A network analysis of international financial centers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1543-1551.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Stavros Peristiani, 2009. "Prestigious stock exchanges: a network analysis of international financial centers," Staff Reports 384, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Givens, David, 2013. "Defining governance matters: A factor analytic assessment of governance institutions," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1026-1053.
- Anokhin, Sergey & Schulze, William S., 2009. "Entrepreneurship, innovation, and corruption," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 465-476, September.
- Gaygısız, Esma, 2013. "How are cultural dimensions and governance quality related to socioeconomic development?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 170-179.
- Ugur, Mehmet & Dasgupta, Nandini, 2011. "Corruption and economic growth: A meta-analysis of the evidence on low-income countries and beyond," MPRA Paper 31226, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 May 2011.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2008.
"Governance matters VII : aggregate and individual governance indicators 1996-2007,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4654, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2007. "Governance Matters VI: Aggregate and Individual Governance Indicators, 1996-2006," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4280, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2009. "Governance matters VIII : aggregate and individual governance indicators 1996-2008," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4978, The World Bank.
- Stefan Voigt, 2009.
"Positive Constitutional Economics II—A Survey of Recent Developments,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
200936, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Stefan Voigt, 2011. "Positive constitutional economics II—a survey of recent developments," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 146(1), pages 205-256, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.