Do standards matter for export success ?
AbstractStandards and technical regulations are an increasingly prominent part of the international trade policy debate. In particular, there has been considerable discussion of whether standards and regulations affect trade costs and export prospects for developing countries. In this paper the authors examine how meeting foreign standards affects firms'export performance, reflected in export propensity and market diversification. The analysis draws on the World Bank Technical Barriers to Trade Survey database of 619 firms in 17 developing countries. The results indicate that technical regulations in industrial countries adversely affect firms'propensity to export in developing countries. In particular, testing procedures and lengthy inspection procedures reduce exports by 9 percent and 3percent, respectively. Furthermore, in the model, the difference in standards across foreign countries causes diseconomy of scale for firms and affects decisions about whether to enter export markets. The empirical analysis presented here implies that standards impede exporters'market entry, reducing the likelihood of exporting to more than three markets by 7 percent. In addition, the authors find that firms that outsource components are more challenged by compliance with multiple standards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3809.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Markets and Market Access; Small Scale Enterprise; Microfinance; Economic Theory&Research; Public Sector Regulation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-01-24 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2006-01-24 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mattias Ganslandt & James R. Markusen, 2001. "Standards and Related Regulations in International Trade: A Modeling Approach," NBER Working Papers 8346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2005. "The cost of compliance with product standards for firms in developing countries: an econometric study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3590, The World Bank.
- Fischer, Ronald & Serra, Pablo, 2000.
"Standards and protection,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 377-400, December.
- Swann, Peter & Temple, Paul & Shurmer, Mark, 1996. "Standards and Trade Performance: The UK Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos & Sivadasan, Jagadeesh, 2008. "Productivity, quality and exporting behavior under minimum quality constraints," MPRA Paper 24146, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Itzhak Goldberg & John Gabriel Goddard & Smita Kuriakose & Jean-Louis Racine, 2011. "Igniting Innovation : Rethinking the Role of Government in Emerging Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2358, March.
- Lionel Fontagné & Gianluca Orefice & Roberta Piermartini & Nadia Rocha, 2013.
"Product Standards and Margins of Trade: Firm Level Evidence,"
2013-06, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Gérard Fontagné & Gianluca Orefice & Roberta Piermartini & Nadia Rocha, 2013. "Product Standards and Margins of Trade: Firm Level Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 4169, CESifo Group Munich.
- Henson, Spencer & Masakure, Oliver & Cranfield, John, 2011. "Do Fresh Produce Exporters in Sub-Saharan Africa Benefit from GlobalGAP Certification?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 375-386, March.
- Itzhak Goldberg & Lee Branstetter & John Gabriel Goddard & Smita Kuriakose, 2008. "Globalization and Ttechnology Absorption in Europe and Central Asia : The Role of Trade, FDI, and Cross-Border Knowledge Flows," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6445, March.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2010.
"Per Capita Income, Market Access Costs, and Trade Volumes,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
11494, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2012. "Per capita income, market access costs, and trade volumes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 284-294.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2008. "Per Capita Income, Market Access Costs, and Trade Volumes," MPRA Paper 19989, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Matthias Helble & Catherine Mann & John Wilson, 2012.
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 357-376, June.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Grajek, Michal, 2006.
"The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
179, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Joseph A Clougherty & Michał Grajek, 2008. "The impact of ISO 9000 diffusion on trade and FDI: A new institutional analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 613-633, June.
- Clougherty, Joseph A & Grajek, Michal, 2006. "The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Michal Grajek, 2006. "The Impact of ISO 9000 Diffusion on Trade and FDI: A New Institutional Analysis," CIG Working Papers SP II 2006-22, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Kebede, Sindu & Fekadu, Belay & Aredo, Dejene, 2011. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty: A Macro-Micro Analysis in Ethiopia," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 44, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Louis Racine & Isabel Sánchez & Makhtar Diop, 2007. "Quality Systems and Standards for a Competitive Edge," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6768, March.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2012. "Private Food Standards and Firm-Level Trade Effects: A Dynamic Analysis of the Peruvian Asparagus Export Sector," Working Papers 146521, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Agyei-Sasu, Felix & Egyir, Irene Susana, 2010. "Tobit Estimation Of The Intensity Of Export Success Of Horticultural Enterprises In Ghana," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 97071, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Juan Carlos Hallak, 2006.
"A Product-Quality View of the Linder Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
12712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tomás Castagnino, 2011. "What Drives firms´ Geographic Diversification in International Markets?," BCRA Working Paper Series 201152, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- Cristina Grazia & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Oualid Hamza, 2012. "Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumers’ health protection justify developing countries’ producers’ exclusion?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 145-170.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.