Standards and Related Regulations in International Trade: A Modeling Approach
AbstractStandards and technical regulations which govern the admissibility of imported goods into an economy raise costs of exporters entering new markets, and may have a particularly high impact on firms seeking to export from developing countries. Yet standards may also have a positive side, such as certifying product quality and safety for the consumer. This paper suggests approaches to modeling standards and technical regulations, with a particular concern that these approaches are at least potentially implementable in an applied general-equilibrium model with real data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 8346.
Date of creation: Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Maskus, Keith E. and John S. Wilson (eds.) Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade: Can it be done? Studies in International Economics. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2001.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00118871 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012.
"A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers 31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2006. "Do standards matter for export success ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3809, The World Bank.
- Witold Czubala & Ben Shepherd & John S. Wilson, 2009. "Help or Hindrance? The Impact of Harmonised Standards on African Exports †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 18(5), pages 711-744, November.
- Klinger, Bailey & Lederman, Daniel, 2006. "Diversification, innovation, and imitation inside the Global Technological Frontier," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3872, The World Bank.
- Stéphane BECUWE (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Radhouane HASNI (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2010. "Green protectionism: the case of textile-clothing sector (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2010-10, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007.
"Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7926, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007. "Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?," Working Paper Series 10010, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Klinger, Bailey & Lederman, Daniel, 2010.
"Export discoveries, diversification and barriers to entry,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5366, The World Bank.
- Klinger, Bailey & Lederman, Daniel, 2011. "Export discoveries, diversification and barriers to entry," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 64-83, March.
- Badulescu, Dan & Baylis, Katherine R., 2006. "Pesticide Regulation Under NAFTA: Harmonization in Process?," Commissioned Papers 24163, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Klinger, Bailey & Lederman, Daniel, 2004. "Discovery and development : an empricial exploration of"new"products," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3450, The World Bank.
- Maggie X. Chen & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008.
"Regionalism in Standards: Good or Bad for Trade?,"
2009-14, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Podhorsky, Andrea, 2013. "Certification programs and north-south trade," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 90-104.
- Daniel Lederman & William F. Maloney, 2012. "Does What You Export Matter? In Search of Empirical Guidance for Industrial Policies," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 9371, October.
- Winter, Etti Maria & Frohberg, Klaus, 2005. "Properties of Flexible Functional Forms for Modeling Bilateral Export Supply and Import Demand in Multi-Country Agri-Food Models," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24471, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gabriel Sánchez & María Laura Alzúa & Inés Butler, 2008. "Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade on Argentine Exports and Labor Markets," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0079, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Nolte, Stephan & Rau, Marie-Luise, 2006. "Food Quality Standards in Equilibrium Models: A Discussion of Current Modeling Approaches," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25653, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fugazza, Marco & Maur, Jean-Christophe, 2008. "Non-tariff barriers in CGE models: How useful for policy?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 475-490.
- Daniel Lederman & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2006. "Recent Evidence on Private Sector Capabilities, Trade Liberalization, Foreign Direct Investment, and Deregulation Are Not Enough," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8204, The World Bank.
- Chakraborty, Debashis & Mukherjee, Sacchidananda, 2010. "Relationship between Trade, Investment and Environment: A Review of Issues," MPRA Paper 23333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.