On the utility consistency of poverty lines
AbstractAlthough poverty lines are widely used as deflators for inter-group welfare comparisons, their internal consistency is rarely given close scrutiny. A priori considerations suggest that commonly used methods cannot be relied on to yield poverty lines that are consistent in terms of utility, or for capabilities more generally. The theory of revealed preference offers testable implications of utility consistency for"poverty baskets"under homogeneous preferences. A case study of Russia's official poverty lines reveals numerous violations of revealed preference criteria-violations that are not solely attributable to heterogeneity in preferences associated with climatic differences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3157.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Health Information&Communications Technologies; Environmental Economics&Policies; Poverty Reduction Strategies; Services&Transfers to Poor; Health Indicators; Poverty Lines; Poverty Assessment; Environmental Economics&Policies; Achieving Shared Growth; Urban Partnerships&Poverty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul, Satya, 1989. "A model of constructing the poverty line," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 129-144, January.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. "The Welfare Basis of Real Income Comparisons: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-45, March.
- Arie Kapteyn & Peter Kooreman & Rob Willemse, 1988.
"Some Methodological Issues in the Implementation of Subjective Poverty Definitions,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(2), pages 222-242.
- Kapteyn, A.J. & Kooreman, P. & Willemse, R.J., 1988. "Some methodological issues in the implementation of subjective poverty definitions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364358, Tilburg University.
- Kapteyn, A.J. & Kooreman, P. & Willemse, R., 1987. "Some methodological issues in the implementation of subjective poverty definitions," Research Memorandum 245, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak, 1996. "When Method Matters: Monitoring Poverty in Bangladesh," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 761-92, July.
- Menno Pradhan & Martin Ravallion, 2000. "Measuring Poverty Using Qualitative Perceptions Of Consumption Adequacy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 462-471, August.
- Quentin Wodon, 1997. "Food energy intake and cost of basic needs: Measuring poverty in Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 66-101.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "A methodology for measuring food poverty applied to Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-74, November.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1993.
"How robust is a poverty profile?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1223, The World Bank.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1987. "Welfare ratios and distributionally sensitive cost-benefit analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 265-290, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Shaffer, Paul, 2007.
"Epistemology, Normative Theory and Poverty Analysis: Implications for Q-Squared in Practice,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 183-196, February.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Shaffer, Paul, 2006. "Epistemology, Normative Theory and Poverty Analysis:Implications for Q-Squared in Practice," Working Papers 127034, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Lisa Grace S. Bersales, 2009. "Issues on the Official Poverty Estimation Methodology in the Philippines : Comparability of Estimates across Space and Over Time," Development Economics Working Papers 22950, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sanjaya Acharya, 2004. "Measuring and Analyzing Poverty," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 195-215, December.
- Arndt, Channing & Simler, Kenneth R., 2005.
"Estimating utility-consistent poverty lines,"
FCND discussion papers
189, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kenneth R. Simler & Channing Arndt, 2007.
"Poverty Comparisons With Absolute Poverty Lines Estimated From Survey Data,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(2), pages 275-294, 06.
- Simler. Kenneth R. & Arndt, Channing, 2006. "Poverty comparisons with absolute poverty lines estimated from survey data," FCND discussion papers 211, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bersales, Lisa Grace S., 2009. "Issues on the Official Poverty Estimation Methodology in the Philippines: Comparability of Estimates across Space and over Time," Discussion Papers DP 2009-17, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Indraneel Dasgupta & Ravi Kanbur, 2005.
"Community and anti-poverty targeting,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 281-302, December.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Molano, Wilma, 2009. "Estimation of the Food Poverty Line," Discussion Papers DP 2009-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Jose Ramon Albert & Wilma Molano, 2009. "Estimation of the Food Poverty Line," Development Economics Working Papers 22948, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- ALi Abdel Gadir Ali, . "Poverty in the Arab Region: A Selective Review," API-Working Paper Series 0402, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Julia Johannsen & Manfred Zeller & Stephan Klasen, 2007. "The capability dilemma in operational poverty assessment," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 159, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Lisa Grace S. Bernales, 2009. "Issues on the Official Poverty Estimation Methodology in the Philippines : Comparability of Estimates across Space and over Time," Development Economics Working Papers 23092, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.