A new model for estimating the probability of information spreading with opinion leaders
AbstractIn this paper we analyze some issues related to the general problem of information spreading among individuals, where suitable assumptions on the information exchange are considered. In particular, starting from the scheme proposed in , which is based on a majority rule to treat the individualsÕ interaction, we define and introduce special individuals who play a key role in the information spreading. The latter will be addressed as opinion leaders, and have the special feature of strongly interfering with the process based on the majority rule. We consider a new model, where opinion leaders are introduced as special agents, and study its specific properties which significantly recast some conclusions worth for the model in . Finally, we provide some results cocerning the dynamics of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia in its series Working Papers with number 13.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Information spreading; GalamÕs model; Opinion leaders;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tal Garber & Jacob Goldenberg & Barak Libai & Eitan Muller, 2004. "From Density to Destiny: Using Spatial Dimension of Sales Data for Early Prediction of New Product Success," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(3), pages 419-428, August.
- Galam, Serge, 2003. "Modelling rumors: the no plane Pentagon French hoax case," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 320(C), pages 571-580.
- Tatiana Bouzdine-Chameeva & Serge Galam, 2011. "Word-Of-Mouth Versus Experts And Reputation In The Individual Dynamics Of Wine Purchasing," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(06), pages 871-885.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1969. "Models of Segregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 488-93, May.
- Ellero, Andrea & Fasano, Giovanni & Sorato, Annamaria, 2009. "A modified Galam’s model for word-of-mouth information exchange," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(18), pages 3901-3910.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.