Bias Reduction for the Maximum Likelihood Estimator of the Scale Parameter in the Half-Logistic Distribution
AbstractWe derive an analytic expression for the bias, to O(n-1) of the maximum likelihood estimator of the scale parameter in the half-logistic distribution. Using this expression to bias-correct the estimator is shown to be very effective in terms of bias reduction, without adverse consequences for the estimator’s precision. The analytic bias-corrected estimator is also shown to be dramatically superior to the alternative of bootstrap-bias-correction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0901.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 20 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Half-logistic distribution; Life testing; Bias reduction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2009-01-24 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2009-01-24 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balakrishnan, N. & Chan, P. S., 1992. "Estimation for the scaled half logistic distribution under Type II censoring," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 123-141, March.
- Adatia, A., 2000. "Estimation of parameters of the half-logistic distribution using generalized ranked set sampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Klein, Ruben, 1994. "Bias correction in ARMA models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 169-176, February.
- Adatia, A., 1997. "Approximate BLUEs of the parameters of the half logistic distribution based on fairly large doubly censored samples," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 179-191, April.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David E Giles & Hui Feng, 2011. "Reducing the bias of the maximum likelihood estimator for the Poisson regression model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2933-2943.
- David E. Giles & Hui Feng, 2009. "Bias of the Maximum Likelihood Estimators of the Two-Parameter Gamma Distribution Revisited," Econometrics Working Papers 0908, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Jacob Schwartz & David E. Giles, 2011. "Biased-Reduced Maximum Likelihood Estimation for the Zero-Inflated Poisson Distribution," Econometrics Working Papers 1102, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.