A Note on Improved Estimation for the Topp-Leone Distribution
AbstractThe Topp-Leone distribution is attractive for reliability studies as it has finite support and a bathtub-shaped hazard function. We compare some properties of the method of moments, maximum likelihood, and bias-adjusted maximum likelihood estimators of its shape parameter. The last of these estimators is very simple to apply and dominates the method of moments estimator in terms of relative bias and mean squared error.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 1203.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 12 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
J-shaped distribution; maximum likelihood; method of moments; unbiased estimation; mean squared error; bathtub hazard; finite support;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ali GenÃ§, 2012. "Moments of order statistics of Toppâ€“Leone distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 117-131, February.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Samuel Kotz, 2003. "Moments of some J-shaped distributions," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 311-317.
- Saralees Nadarajah, 2009. "Bathtub-shaped failure rate functions," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(5), pages 855-863, September.
- William J. Reed, 2011. "A flexible parametric survival model which allows a bathtub-shaped hazard rate function," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 1665-1680, August.
- M. E. Ghitany & S. Kotz & M. Xie, 2005. "On some reliability measures and their stochastic orderings for the Topp-Leone distribution," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 715-722.
- Jacob Schwartz & Ryan T. Godwin & David E. Giles, 2011. "Improved Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Shape Parameter in the Nakagami Distribution," Econometrics Working Papers, Department of Economics, University of Victoria 1109, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Klein, Ruben, 1994. "Bias correction in ARMA models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 169-176, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.