Nonjointness and Scope Economies in the Multiproduct Symmetric Generalized McFadden Cost Function
AbstractThe multiproduct symmetric generalized McFadden cost function is increasingly prominent in empirical production analysis. Researchers should be aware that the scope for imposing and testing nonjointness in this model is limited. In the general version of the model, nonjointness requires the nontestable maintained hypothesis of similar (in a sense we define) single-output production technologies, a maintained hypothesis for which there is not normally any basis. The apparent imposition and testing of nonjointness must be qualified accordingly. In restricted versions of the model involving separability or constant returns that are often of interest in applied work,nonjointness is precluded.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0709.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 16 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Nonjointness; multiproduct cost function;
Other versions of this item:
- Kenneth Stewart, 2009. "Non-jointness and scope economies in the multiproduct symmetric generalized McFadden cost function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 161-171, December.
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald G. Ferguson & J. C. H. Jones & Kenneth G. Stewart, 2000. "Competition Within A Cartel: League Conduct And Team Conduct In The Market For Baseball Player Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 422-430, August.
- Kenneth G. Stewart & J. C. H. Jones, 2005.
"Are Sports Teams Multi-Product Firms?,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0513, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Blackorby, Charles & Primont, Daniel & Russell, R. Robert, 1977. "On testing separability restrictions with flexible functional forms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 195-209, March.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1995. "Flexible functional forms and tests of homogeneous separability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 259-302, June.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-92, July-Aug..
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Stewart, Kenneth G & Jones, J C H, 1998. "Hedonics and Demand Analysis: The Implicit Demand for Player Attributes," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(2), pages 192-202, April.
- Jan Larsson, 2003. "Testing the Multiproduct Hypothesis on Norwegian Aluminium Industry Plants," Discussion Papers 350, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- repec:rne:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:1:p:159-171 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1988. "Normalized Quadratic Systems of Consumer Demand Functions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 303-12, July.
- Barnett, William A. & Geweke, John & Wolfe, Michael, 1991. "Seminonparametric Bayesian estimation of the asymptotically ideal production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 5-50.
- Casasnovas, Valero L. & Aldanondo, Ana Maria, 2011. "Influence of Animal Feeding on Milk Supply in Navarre," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114316, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bichler, Martin & Schneider, Stefan & Guler, Kemal & Sayal, Mehmet, 2011. "Compact bidding languages and supplier selection for markets with economies of scale and scope," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 67-77, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.