The dynamics of pharmaceutical regulation and R&D investments
AbstractThe paper uses a real option approach to investigate the potential impact of performance-based risk-sharing agreements for the reimbursement of new drugs in comparison with standard cost-effectiveness thresholds. The results show that the exact definition of the risk-sharing agreement is key in determining its economic effects. In particular, despite the concerns expressed by some authors, the incentive for a firm to invest in R&D may be the same or even greater than under cost-effectiveness thresholds, if the agreement is sufficiently mild in defining the conditions under which the product is not (fully) reimbursed to the firm. In this case, patients would benefit from earlier access to innovations. The price for this is less value for money for the insurer at the time of adoption of the innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Verona, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 13/2013.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
pharmaceutical regulation; real options; R&D; risk-sharing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-08-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2013-08-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IND-2013-08-05 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2013-08-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-REG-2013-08-05 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakdawalla, Darius & Sood, Neeraj, 2009. "Innovation and the welfare effects of public drug insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3-4), pages 541-548, April.
- Pennings, Enrico & Sereno, Luigi, 2011. "Evaluating pharmaceutical R&D under technical and economic uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 374-385, July.
- Gérard Pouvourville, 2006. "Risk-sharing agreements for innovative drugs," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 155-157, September.
- Pedro Pita Barros, 2011.
"The simple economics of risk‐sharing agreements between the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 461-470, April.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 2007. "The simple economics of risk-sharing agreements between the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry," MPRA Paper 8517, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Palmer, Stephen & Smith, Peter C., 2000. "Incorporating option values into the economic evaluation of health care technologies," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 755-766, September.
- Golec, Joseph & Hegde, Shantaram & Vernon, John A., 2010. "Pharmaceutical R&D Spending and Threats of Price Regulation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 239-264, February.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2003.
"The Impact of Price Regulation on the Launch Delay of New Drugs - Evidence from Twenty-Five Major Markets in the 1990s,"
NBER Working Papers
9874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2005. "The impact of price regulation on the launch delay of new drugs-evidence from twenty-five major markets in the 1990s," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 269-292.
- Levaggi, R. & Moretto, M. & Pertile, P., 2012.
"Static and dynamic efficiency of irreversible health care investments under alternative payment rules,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 169-179.
- Rosella Levaggi & Michele Moretto & Paolo Pertile, 2010. "Static and Dynamic Efficiency of Irreversible Health Care Investments under Alternative Payment Rules," Working Papers 2010.130, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- John A. Vernon, 2005. "Examining the link between price regulation and pharmaceutical R&D investment," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 1-16.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007.
"Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Kyle, Margaret, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Danzon, Patricia M & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Does Regulation Drive out Competition in Pharmaceutical Markets?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 311-57, October.
- Cassimon, D. & Engelen, P. J. & Thomassen, L. & Van Wouwe, M., 2004. "The valuation of a NDA using a 6-fold compound option," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 41-51, January.
- Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni & Laura Magazzini, 2010. "The productivity crisis in pharmaceutical R&D," Working Papers 06/2010, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Darren Filson, 2012. "A Markov‐perfect equilibrium model of the impacts of price controls on the performance of the pharmaceutical industry," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 43(1), pages 110-138, 03.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Hansen, Ronald W. & Grabowski, Henry G., 2003. "The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 151-185, March.
- Richard L. Shockley & Staci Curtis & Jonathan Jafari & Kristopher Tibbs, 2002. "The Option Value Of An Early-Stage Biotechnology Investment," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(2), pages 44-55.
- Adrian Towse & Louis P. Garrison, 2010. "Can't Get No Satisfaction? Will Pay for Performance Help?: Toward an Economic Framework for Understanding Performance-Based Risk-Sharing Agreements for Innovative Medical Products," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 28(2), pages 93-102.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- #HEJC papers for September 2013
by academichealtheconomists in The Academic Health Economists' Blog on 2013-08-31 23:01:38
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.