Shadow Prices for a Nonconvex Public Technology in the Presence of Private Constant Returns
AbstractDiamond and Mirrlees have shown that public sector shadow prices should be set equal to the private producer prices in some circumstances even if taxes are not optimal when the public production technology is convex and some of the private sector firms have constant-returns-to-scale technologies. In this article, it is shown that the optimal public production plan maximizes profits using the private producer prices on a subset of the public production set if this set is nonconvex. Sufficient conditions for profit maximization using these prices to identify the optimal public production plan on the whole public production set are also identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vanderbilt University Department of Economics in its series Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers with number 0501.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html
Shadow prices; public sector pricing; Diamond and Mirrlees;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2005-02-01 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-02-01 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, P A & Mirrlees, James A, 1976.
"Private Constant Returns and Public Shadow Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 41-47, February.
- Moore, James C & Whinston, Andrew B & Wu, Joseph S, 1972. "Resource Allocation in a Non-convex Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 303-23, July.
- Weymark, John A, 1981. "On Sums of Production Set Frontiers," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 179-83, January.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1979. "General statements on second best pareto optimality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 169-194, July.
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bos, Dieter, 1985. "Public sector pricing," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 129-211 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.