Infinitesimal Robustness for Diffusions
AbstractWe develop infinitesimally robust statistical procedures for general diffusion processes. We first prove existence and uniqueness of the times series influence function of conditionally unbiased M–estimators for ergodic and stationary dffusions, under weak conditions on the (martingale) estimating function used. We then characterize the robustness of M–estimators for diffusions and derive a class of conditionally unbiased optimal robust estimators. To compute these estimators, we propose a general algorithm, which exploits approximation methods for dffusions in the computation of the robust estimating function. Monte Carlo simulation shows a good performance of our robust estimators and an application to the robust estimation of the exchange rate dynamics within a target zone illustrates the methodology in a real–data application.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen in its series University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2008 with number 2008-09.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Dffusion processes; Eigenexpansion; Influence Function; Infinitesimal Generator; M–Estimators; Saddle– point Approximation.;
Other versions of this item:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-05-24 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2008-05-24 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ai[dieresis]t-Sahalia, Yacine & Yu, Jialin, 2006. "Saddlepoint approximations for continuous-time Markov processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 507-551, October.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Ronchetti, Elvezio & Trojani, Fabio, 2001. "Robust inference with GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 37-69, March.
- Loriano Mancini & Elvezio Ronchetti & Fabio Trojani, 2004.
"Optimal Conditionally Unbiased Bounded-Influence Inference in Dynamic Location and Scale Models,"
Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva
2004.04, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Mancini, Loriano & Ronchetti, Elvezio & Trojani, Fabio, 2005. "Optimal Conditionally Unbiased Bounded-Influence Inference in Dynamic Location and Scale Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 628-641, June.
- Loriano Mancini & Elvezio Ronchetti & Fabio Trojani, 2005. "Optimal Conditionally Unbiased Bounded-Influence Inference in Dynamic Location and Scale Models," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2005 2005-01, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Krishnakumar, J. & Ronchetti, E., 1997. "Robust estimators for simultaneous equations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 295-314, June.
- Camponovo, Lorenzo & Scaillet, Olivier & Trojani, Fabio, 2012.
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 197-210.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Fusari, Nicola & La Vecchia, Davide, 2013. "Realizing smiles: Options pricing with realized volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 284-304.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.