Bootstrap specification tests for diffusion processes
AbstractThis paper introduces bootstrap specification tests for diffusion processes. In the one-dimensional case, the proposed test is closest to the non parametric test introduced by Ait-Sahalia (1996), in the sense that both procedures determine whether the drift and variance components of a particular continuous time model are correctly specified. However we compare cumulative distribution functions, while Ait-Sahalia compares probability densities. In the multidimensional and/or multifactor case, the proposed test is based on the comparison of empirical CDF of the actual data and the empirical CDF of the simulated data. The limiting distributions of both tests are functionals of zero mean Gaussian processes with covariance kernels that reflect data dependence and parameter estimation error (PEE). In order to obtain asymptotically valid critical values for the test, we use an empirical process version of the block bootstrap which properly accounts for the contribution of PEE. An example based on a simple version of Cox, Ingersol and Ross (1985) square root process is outlined and related Monte Carlo experiments are carried out. These experiments suggest that the test has good finite sample properties, even for samples as small as 400 observations when tests are formed using critical values constructed with as few as 100 bootstrap replications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 124 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Bootstrap Specification Tests for Diffusion Processes," Departmental Working Papers 200321, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2002.
"A consistent test for nonlinear out of sample predictive accuracy,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 353-381, October.
- Corradi, V. & Swanson, N.R., 2000. "A Consistent Test for Nonlinear Out of Sample Predictive Accuracy," Discussion Papers 0012, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Discretely Sampled Diffusions: A Closed-form Approximation Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 223-262, January.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992.
92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1097-1128, September.
- Bühlmann, Peter, 1995. "The blockwise bootstrap for general empirical processes of stationary sequences," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 247-265, August.
- Filippo Altissimo & Antonio Mele, 2004.
"Simulated nonparametric estimation of continuous time models of asset prices and returns,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24674, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Antonio Mele & Filippo Altissimo, 2004. "Simulated Nonparametric Estimation of Continuous Time Models of Asset Prices and Returns," FMG Discussion Papers dp476, Financial Markets Group.
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- MEDDAHI, Nour, 2001.
"An Eigenfunction Approach for Volatility Modeling,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-29, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2002.
"Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8hx21540, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2004. "Maximum likelihood and the bootstrap for nonlinear dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 199-219, March.
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Halbert White, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-41, CIRANO.
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2000. "Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt1bj657ff, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Inoue, Atsushi, 2001. "Testing For Distributional Change In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 156-187, February.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars Peter Hansen & Jos´e A. Scheinkman, 2005.
"Principal Components and the Long Run,"
122247000000000997, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Atsushi Inoue & Mototsugu Shintani, 2001.
"Bootstrapping GMM Estimators for Time Series,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0129, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Aug 2003.
- Radulovic, Dragan, 1996. "The bootstrap for empirical processes based on stationary observations," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 259-279, December.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2007.
"Evaluation of dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models based on distributional comparison of simulated and historical data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 699-723, February.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Evaluation of Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models Based on Distributional Comparison of Simulated and Historical Data," Departmental Working Papers 200320, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Conley, Timothy G, et al, 1997. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Subordinated Diffusions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 525-77.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," NBER Working Papers 5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Alastair R. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2003.
"The large sample behaviour of the generalized method of moments estimator in misspecified models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 361-394, June.
- Alastair R. Hall & Atsushi Inoue, 2005. "The Large Sample Behaviour of the Generalized Method of Moments Estimator in Misspecified Models," Econometrics 0505002, EconWPA.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 1999. "Transition Densities for Interest Rate and Other Nonlinear Diffusions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1361-1395, 08.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1992. "An Introduction to Econometric Applications of Functional Limit Theory for Dependent Random Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1020, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Moshe Buchinsky, 2000. "A Three-Step Method for Choosing the Number of Bootstrap Repetitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 23-52, January.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.